Doe sneezing when a buck comes near her to mate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiesncream

Reaction score
I have a doe that's a bit timid but calm and friendly enough. I tried to get her to mate with a buck of mine. They're around the same age (7-9 months) and healthy with no issues.

I've tried to get them to mate before and it was successful, although the doe didn't conceive at first and second tries (resulting in fake pregnancy).

Recently, I tried several times to get them together and noticed that every time the buck chases the doe, the doe will start to sneeze and rub it's nose. She started to sneeze several times while avoiding the buck. I immediately get them separated. Is this some kind of an allergy? If not, is it possible that it's just another rejection due to fake pregnancy?

I cannot speak to the symptoms within the specific context of breeding, however, I imagine chasing involves heavier breathing, so if she has some sort of nasal irritation or respiratory distress, it makes sense that every time she's presented with a scenario in which she needs to breathe heavier/exert herself, respiratory distress symptoms like sneezing would come up. I recommend having her seen by a rabbit-savvy vet to assess her respiratory health.

I cannot speak to the symptoms within the specific context of breeding, however, I imagine chasing involves heavier breathing, so if she has some sort of nasal irritation or respiratory distress, it makes sense that every time she's presented with a scenario in which she needs to breathe heavier/exert herself, respiratory distress symptoms like sneezing would come up. I recommend having her seen by a rabbit-savvy vet to assess her respiratory health.
This might be the case. But she usually run around fine while playing (or running away from me lol) and don't sneeze after. But I guess it could be more stressful getting chased around

Latest posts

Back