Doe pushes newborn out of nest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupsy

Reaction score
My mini-rex doe gave birth about 36 hours ago (early morning 3/25/2018) to three kits.

She built a nest, pulled fur and seems to have interest in the babies.

However, this morning, my housemate found her rolling a baby across the floor with her nose, toward where her pen is (she is a house bunny who has free roam of the living room, the nesting box isn't in her pen).

The babies are dehydrated, but I read that there's a chance she isn't producing milk yet so I don't want to assume negligence just yet. However, there's a chance they were fed yesterday morning because they seemed more round then.

I caught her digging at the babies yesterday (I assumed the nest was damaged during birth and this was her attempt at fixing it), but now I'm wondering if she was just trying to remove the kits from the nest. Another thing to note is that two of the kits have puncture wounds on their bodies from her nails + the digging (nails have since been cut).

I'm sorry this is a flurry of information but I don't know what factors could be important in figuring out what to do :( Any help would be very appreciated.

my bun did that when one of the babies health wasnt good and she knew she couldnt take care of it or help it... she may want the babies in the area she is pushing them..

If she's a first time mom, some of them don't take to it very naturally and don't care for the babies, and she may want them out of there. If she is digging at them or injuring them, you need to remove them and the nest. Keep them somewhere safe and bring them back to mom twice a day to nurse, morning and evening. They should have big fat ping pong bellies at some point of the day if she is nursing them and they are getting enough milk. If she isn't nursing them, you can try holding her on your lap and holding the babies up to her to nurse. Just make sure to have a good hold on her and the babies so she doesn't kick or fling them off. Helps to have someone helping you do this.

Hi @Squishybabies, the heavily injured baby died. She ended up refusing to feed that one, and it was too weak to attempt to nurse on the mom (even when she was flipped on her back). :( The other two babies were fine, but sadly another one passed away as well. It got kicked up out of the nest some time during the night, and didn't make it.

Currently, there is only one baby left- he (or she!) is very fat and very sassy. It seems very healthy!

here's a pic from two days ago

Attachments

• 20180402_010225.jpg
    20180402_010225.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 6
The kit out of the nest box was likely latched onto mom as she jumped out after nursing. Left out without a way to stay warm, they die. After losing a couple that way I always checked to make sure the kits were snuggled under the hay and hair before I went to bed every night.

did you have a nestbox for them? Some way to keep them well confined or just a nest in the cage? Nestboxes (even a cardboard one helps to keep kits confined). Some does scramble in the nestbox day two because their hormones are messing them up. If you take the box away and give them an empty one to mess around with you keep the kits secure while the hormones dissipate and then just give the kits back to mom. These things help first time moms be successful. :) Some tips to help you next time. :)

Latest posts

Back