Doe making nest at 21 days

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remist17

Reaction score
So this am I gave my doe some hay. She normally just eats it. Today she made a nest. She is 21 days into her pregnancy. Is this a false one since she started so soon?
She is a new Zealand and its her first time. I was planning on putting box in on Monday.

Not necessarily false. Once in a while I'll have a first timer make a nest early. Just wait until day 28 to put the nestbox in. Putting it in too early, she'll just pee/poop in it.

I give my does a nestbox when they ask for it. rarely do mine poop or pee in them, and if they do, they are asking me to remove it. Then I just put it back in again at day 27 as often early nesters are early deliverers. :)

I give my does a nestbox when they ask for it. rarely do mine poop or pee in them, and if they do, they are asking me to remove it. Then I just put it back in again at day 27 as often early nesters are early deliverers. :)

What's the earliest you've had a doe deliver a live litter? Offhand, I think the earliest for me, so far, has been Day 29.

We had a doe drop 5 days early; she didn't want to nurse them but they all survived and caught up developmentally with a wonderful foster doe.

Before I had my rabbit Bunny neutered at the age of 5 years, she built birthing nests. She built a birthing nest in the closet of our bedroom..she normally slept under the bed. I had to have our house fumigated for termites, so we all moved to a Marriott Residence Inn for two nights.. we took Bunny. After awaking on the second morning, we discovered she had built another birthing nest in a corner of the room. She used straw from her liter box and shredded up newspaper. She had very powerful instincts to make a birthing nest. We had her neutered at 5 years.

We took her with us for several week end trips. We'd take two litter boxes, one for Friday night, and one for Saturday night. She never soiled any motel room, she was very precise with litter box manners. ............I'm hoping that our now two Flemish babies will have such disciplined litter box manners...they are not there now, but pretty close!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back