Doe gave birth to one dead kit mid day. No more since.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My doe (lionhead) gave birth to one kit mid day and it was in the nest with hair pulled she was just sitting in there for a hour I thought she was making the nest so I left her alone when I checked a hour later there was a bunch of fur and one dead kit. The kit looked completely normal and normal size actually a little bit bigger then her first litters kits. Her first litter she had 4 kits on the 31st day and they were all healthy and she was an amazing mom. This would have been her second litter, and the one dead kit was birthed on day 33 so overdue. I’m just so confused why only one. It looked completely healthy two. She’s very upset and keeps going in the best digging at it and looking and then comes out of the nest and lays right next to it and isn’t eating much she’s been taking nibbles and sips here and there but not much . What can I do to help her ? I feel terrible and not sure what went wrong when her first litter she did amazing with !
She also is continuing to pull fur and put it in the best even tho there is no baby there and she can clearly see that. I was hoping she would have more so she wasn't so sad but it’s been 24 hours and no more babies .

Attachments

• 26017CDD-5807-4F57-8549-9C23F45A9077.jpeg
    26017CDD-5807-4F57-8549-9C23F45A9077.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 1
It's possible she could still be having more. Rabbits have two uterine horns, and sometimes one batch will come, then another several hours or even a few days later. So keep the nesting box in with her. I would keep it in for a few more days. Though you do need to remove the dead kit. If she still isn't eating or drinking much and it's been over 24 hours or her condition deteriorates, there could be a pregnancy complication and she needs to be seen by a knowledgeable rabbit vet immediately.

(WARNING: contains medical related photos)
Medirabbit: pregnancy complications

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
How many kits are born in a litter depends on a lot of factors. Litter sizes vary all of the time. Sometimes there will be just one kit, sometimes 8-12, etc. With a kit being born dead, same thing, there are a lot of factors: from birthing complications to genetic defects. Just because a kit looks normal on the outside, doesn't mean there isn't something that went wrong internally.

(WARNING: contains medical related photos)
Medirabbit: causes of newborn mortality

Latest posts

Back