Doc & Dora to Doc & Aurora

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great photo, scary faces haha.The proms is a great event and the last night sells out in hours but there are loads of other concerts and performances and I´d love to go one year. I put the James Bond on there cos it sounded so good and I´d never seen a live orchestra play it. I love the ladies in their long dresses and the dapper men and I just love watching each person´s concentration and the way that it all comes together , would love to be a part of something like that.

I also watch the New Year´s concert from Vienna. I just love the music and also love the conductor leading the orchestra and the audience participation...it must be fantastic to be there.

Morgan, I think we should rename you Dr Doolittle lol.

Morgan - Thanks! I really love dressing up and have fun with creative costumes. A couple of times in college, a group of girlfriends and I dressed up as the Village People. I was the biker. It was excellent. Another good costume I had was for a Halloween orchestra concert my senior year of college. I was Bassoon Hero! I had a cape and everything. I got to use that photo for my senior recital poster. :p Sounds like you want to get a straight up zoo going at your place! I guess I can understand where your husband's coming from - once you get one thing, why not get another? and another and another.. hahaha. A camel would probably be a bit much, but lots of the other animals you listed are actually useful! I totally laughed when you said you wanted to add extra O's to bassoon. My senior year roommate who is now one of my best friends always said "baaaahh-ssoooooon" to me in this funny voice, so that's what I thought of. Every time I type words with ss's and then an o, like lesson, I sometimes accidentally add O's. Bassoon lessoon, ahahahaha.

Chris - Music is great in Vienna! One of our bassoon teachers at school studied in Vienna for a long time. Sometimes she lets some German slip in class and says she's unsure of the English word, but she totally was born in the US and has lived here most of her life. She is funny. Vienna was one of the many places Luke and I visited on our Europe trip, and there is so much music history! We were just taking a walk through a neighborhood one day and happened to walk by a building that had a plaque on it that said Beethoven lived in that building for a short while!

Lisa - I was thinking the move might help.. well, move things along, too. :p I might try a date this weekend. Would you recommend giving separate play time to each beforehand, or diving right in? I was thinking I'd give each separate play time, then feed veggies to each in their cages and have them eat together, then try a short date.

I literally just sat here at work, it's slow, and just read through your WHOLE blog... all 19 pages, oh my gosh, haha. And I loved it! and the story! I am so anxious here.. rooting for your two beautiful buns!

I wanna just write some things, it may end up being a huge post, but I wanted to make sure I got what I wanted to comment on from the beginning.. I feel like we're friends NOW! haha.

I am soo sooo sorry to hear about the loss of Dora, and when you said you lost your phones I was NEAR tears for you, but so ecstatic to hear that you did after all back them up! thank goodness. I can't even imagine how you felt losing her to begin with.. but I am glad you can focus on the happy memories and I think you're very strong for that.

I am glad you took your time before you got Doc a new girl.. for both of your sakes. [: You picking Aurora up and her foster mom crying literally made me tear up. It brought tears to my eyes.. I foster kitties and I know that although it's a rewarding experience, and that it's exciting to see them go to their new homes & start their new forever journeys with new people, that it's really hard sometimes to let go and to watch them leave. Do you talk to her foster mom? & send pics or anything? I have a foster fam. who adopted two kittens from me that we chat back & forth on FB... and I have even visited once. :| With her offer though, I didn't ask.. that may be pushing it on my part. LOL.

Aurora is GORGEOUS and what a beautiful couple they will make!

I have 2 buns (we also have a blog, it's called "The Adventures of Tucker" If you're interested) Tucker is my bun I've had for a few months now, and GusGus is my new guy, Tucker actually still gnaws at his cage when Gus comes out (they aren't bonded yet.. haven't started, just got them neutered last week) I honestly just think he wants to play, though and Gus doesn't mind at all. They are very good to one another. I just wish the poop-marking will stop from Tucker.

The dryer idea seemed to work wonders with your two, I'm dying here because I know how stressed I'd be if I had them in a small carrier that was hard to access.

I kept saying to myself that I wanted to skip ahead and see how it was going now, but I noticed not too much has happened except more progress in them slowly accepting one another. It's great you're not rushing it and you're taking your time! Great job!

On post 100 with your pics, Doc in his litter pain sleeping... my GOSH! He looks BIGGGG. I love it! Funny that you even typed "Little guy" in his description of the picture.

I might get some backlash from saying this, but I've never been a huge fan of all white bunnies, but seriously your Doc has got me hooked.. maybe it's because of his want/need to be bun-loved, but seriously he has me melting over here.

I can't wait to hear about your actual bun-date :D Please keep us informed. A good idea is recording it so the bun experts here can help with advice.

Glad to hear Doc has another fan....I love white buns and Doc is such a sweetheart, I call him my Snowy´s big brother haha.

Lyndy, you´ve done one more thing than me cos I´ve never been to Vienna. We sent my mom and dad there to celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary as dad was always going on about it as he was stationed there just after the second world war. they had a great time and love all the architecture and the music and said it was so clean as well lol.

Hope Doc and Rory are being good to each other.

Tucker and GusGus' mom - Thanks so much for reading! I signed on just now and was like WHOA, 12 new likes on posts?? :p Thank you so much for your lovely words on Dora. It's been just about five months since she passed now, and I'll randomly have a few days where I'm thinking of her and missing her a lot, but otherwise, like you said, the happy memories keep me smiling! I think I will feel so much better once Doc and Rory are bonded. I actually haven't had that much contact with Rory's foster mom! She called me awhile back to ask how bonding was going and said she'd follow up in a week or so, but she never did. I had told her I'd send pictures along, but she was supposed to send me some things first and never did, so I don't have her email address! :confused: Yes, Doc isn't quite the "little guy" any more, but I still call him Little Guy sometimes, hahaha. He was so tiny when we got him, smaller than Dora who only grew to three pounds, so sometimes he's still really small in my mind's eye even though he's a whopping eight pounds. :laughsmiley: If Doc's starting to get you to like white buns, I'm sure Chris's Snowy will help seal the deal for you! I will definitely check out your blog when I have a moment, I'm sure we can compare notes on our bonding processes!

Chris - You should go to Vienna! It is really great, and was one of our favorite stops on our trip. We saw an opera there for eight Euros or something. We had to stand (opera is lonnngg) but we were literally standing at a straight shot to the stage and probably had a better view than some people who were seated!

Katie - I was considering Otterbox, but I'm really not hard on my phone. (Insert comment here about storm drain incident, hahaha.) I went for an Incipio case. I talked with a few people, and the general consensus was as long as the case comes up and over all the corners and prevent the screen from coming into direct contact with something, it's well protected. Otterboxes are so bulky, and the iPhone is so thin! Also, the Otterbox I reeeally wanted wasn't covered on Amazon Prime. :p

I have been trying to read Chris' blog, but it's so hard, because I like to actually read the whole entire blog so I can get to know them, and she has like soooo many pages!! haha.. nobody really reads my blog, and that's okay with me.. I'm really just writing things for myself to remember things, etc... but it's nice to have followers & people that can give me advice. I technically wasn't starting their bonding process as of yet, they were just neutered last friday.... BUT I have some news for everyone; I gotta do an update on my blog... shortly. :)

I can't wait to see Doc & Aurora to be bonded, too! Any new news with that?

I will definitely start on your blog once I have the time! It is so hard to catch up, and I have to be careful not to start following too many. :p I just try and stick with those who are active on my blog as well, that way I know everyone and their buns a bit better.

So, everyone, I've been feeling a little down about my Doc and Rory situation lately. I actually sent Michelle a PM after seeing her posts awhile back about seriously considering giving up Hippo, but sometimes I just can't shake this nagging feeling that Rory isn't right for us. I mean, I know they haven't had an up-close-and-personal date in a long while, but I feel they just aren't ready for it. And they've been in their "new" set up now for at least a month. It seemed like it was getting better, but the past few days Rory has just been all up in Doc's face again. She grunted at him right off the bat tonight for the first time in awhile. It's just getting so exhausting, like Michelle said. I mean, I come home after a long day, usually, and I would really like to unwind, but it's rabbit time and I have to sit right in the middle of things and try not to let nips happen. And then I have to make sure the second rabbit gets time so I'm making sure I'm not up too late and they both get equal time. It's a lot easier with two buns who get along and I'm allowed to sit on the couch and just let them do their thing. It's really starting to get to me, and I'm not having fun during rabbit time right now - I'm getting annoyed with Rory for losing her s---- and biting and batting at the bars and causing a general ruckus, I'm getting bothered by Doc doing the same on the ex-pen when he's out, which he didn't do as much with Dora.. The whole two litter box thing is getting really old, and I feel so bad when Doc has to go into the small cage at night because he is so huge in it. I would really love to get an NIC cage going when I move, but I obviously don't want to construct TWO, so the bonding would have to be over with. Also, my mom will need to watch the buns when I go to Florida for my audition in a couple of weeks, and I'm sure she'll watch them separately even though she "refused" to do it, but I feel bad aaand I have to lug two sets of everything now when I bring them over. I just don't know what else to do. Doc used to just kind of turn away and ignore Rory's aggression, but now sometimes he'll nip back. It's been three months, I thought this would be over with by now.

This also makes me miss Dora a lot. I mean, I spent my time waiting to be ready to get another bun, then I got her when I felt it was time and started to feel better about losing Dora. Now with it just having been a long, rough experience so far, I miss Dora more in the sad way rather than the happy memory way, and I can't help but compare Rory to her when Rory's being a complete B and wishing Dora was just here instead.

I keep telling myself I'll feel better once I start the face-to-face dating again, but I really don't see an opportunity for that arising any time soon. Gah.

Sorry for the rant. If anyone can think of something I haven't already tried, I'm all ears!

In other life news, we have juries tomorrow. Your jury is basically your final for your instrument to show what you've done over the semester. Sometimes you play a solo piece, sometimes you play orchestral excerpts/audition material. Since I'm taking that audition, my teacher and the other bassoon teacher decided to have me prepare my whole list, then they emailed me last night the exact list of things they want to hear from me tomorrow. Out of 26 things on the audition list, I am to play 6 tomorrow! They picked stuff I am more ready to play though, so that's good. Afterward, we're all going out as a studio with both teachers for drinks and maybe a bite.

Hope everyone had a lovely Monday!

Awww Lyndy, I'm sorry that you're going through this with the rabbits! I don't know what I would do in that situation. To be honest, I would probably just stick it out and have two separate rabbits and be pissed about it the whole time and cuss at them until they bonded with each other.

I totally understand what you mean when you say that Rory does stuff to make you miss Dora. Ellie makes me miss Foo A LOT. She is so bad and destructive and snarky and aggressive. Foo was so sweet and calm and peaceful. She lived almost 3 years being unspayed and never chewed through half the stuff that Ellie has chewed through. Foo got 2 cell chargers and thats it. Ellie has tried to take down two of my major appliances. Sometimes I look at her and wonder what the hell I'm doing with such a destructive bad rabbit and I wonder where my peaceful good bunny went. Its so sad. And sometimes I think that I lost the wrong one and that I resent Ellie for NOT being Foo. Its not fair to Ellie, but I can't help it sometimes. So I totally understand what you're saying. That actually just made me really upset writing it out, because I haven't really shared the ugly side of having her instead of Foo.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope you can figure it out. I hope they'll just bond with each other. I don't understand rabbit behavior and why they act the way they do, but hopefully it will work out.
Did Michelle say anything back to you? I'm actually kind of worried about her and the decision she made, I know it was really hard for her too.

I totally understand you Lyndy and having two unbounded bunnies who are nippy with each other is really difficult and finding time to give enough time to both is even more difficult. Bonding is not as simple as it sounds and there is never any guarantee that it will work for every bunny, some are just not meant to be together. I think you have to decide whether you can keep the two if you need to keep the separate for a good while to come as that may be the situation for a while if you don´t have time to dedicate to bonding them and if it doesn´t work out. Only you can decide that and we´ll support you and be there for whatever that decision is.

It must be difficult to lose a beloved bunny and they do say we shouldn´t compare but it is hard not to.

I was also wondering what Michelle had decided, I´m sure she´s really busy with the dealership and will post when she´s ready.

I really don't have anything to say, as far as experience or advice on this situation goes, but I feel so bad for you.. & I am so unsure of how I would handle this situation if this was the case with Tucker & GusGus... and I am so hoping that it won't be the case. :\ I feel horrible that you have to go through this; it's so strange considering how well your bunny dates went prior to adopting. I also think of my last bunny a lot, but not really necessarily because of my boys now, but just in general. It's hard losing a bunny or any animal, and it's not something I'd wish on anyone. :\ I really hope things change with your two, or you can have an ease of heart with whatever decision you decide to make. I know before it was VERY hard for me to split my time with the two, but now that I have a pen set up, I don't feel as bad... they both can roam around their side of the room just fine now. :) Good luck either way, we are all on your side here.

Thanks guys, glad to know everyone is rooting for us! Maybe I was just being emotional about it and they had a rough couple of days, but I do feel better now. I guess I do feel negatively about the bonding at some points, but have been able to bounce back each time so far, so I suppose I will keep on going!

I have not heard back from Michelle. I can only assume that she is busy and it is quite possible she did decide to give Hippo back and doesn't feel like coming on RO at the moment. I hope she is doing okay. I hope Lisa is doing okay too, haven't heard from her in awhile either!

Anyway, it has been going better. I took a couple of videos to share with you guys so you can see how Doc and Rory are with each other on a good day. I don't know if much can be told from them, but please let me know if you have any thoughts on their behaviour/body language!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB9MLG5QJBw[/ame]

Last night, Rory out to play and visiting Doc in the cage.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLHFqaKKfVQ[/ame]

This morning, Doc out to play and visiting Rory in the cage.

All I can say is.. LOOK AT POOR DOC LOOKING FOR LOVE. I feel so bad for my little buddy! After Rory hopped away and I stopped taking video, he sat there and had me pet him and was chattering away.

So I'm going to Florida soon. I will be going to my parents' house on Wednesday evening, rabbits in tow, where we will stay for a few days while I join my high school orchestra for an alumni concert, then I fly out on Sunday morning until the following Thursday. I am not excited to pack the rabbits up and drive. It is only an hour drive, probably less since I'll be going at night, but I'll need to pack up BOTH cages AND the pen and their supplies. Not to mention I'll be stressing along with them since I have no idea what I'd do if they fought in the carrier. Is this a good idea? I don't know what to do if it's not a good idea, since I don't trust my roommate to watch them for that long and need my mom to care for them. I'm thinking it'll be okay - the hour+ long drive from the shelter they were fine, the first stressing in the car in the same carrier went fine, and the stressing in the carrier on the dryer went fine. It was just the time I thought they could graduate to stressing in the carrier in the noisy bathroom with the fan going where they fought in there. I wonder what I should do upon arriving at my parents'.. This might be a good experience for the buns - I could just set up a pen date right when we get there after being in the car. Rory has never been to my parents' house. Doc has, but there are plenty of places he's never been in the house. Thoughts?

Oh and I totally forgot about this, but thought it was funny. Yesterday, between the time I went to practice on campus and came back, Rory hadn't pooped at all. I came home and was asking her why she hadn't pooped and everything and was mildly concerned, but decided it hadn't even been 12 hours, so not to be too worried. I went to get ready to meet my friend for dinner, and about 20 minutes later, I came back and she had left two HUUUGE piles of perfect poops. Just like she was waiting for me to get home to leave me little presents in person.

Last edited:
Her licking the cage bars after you were petting her, is basically a thank you in bunny language, and a way they 'groom' you back, if they can't reach you to lick you in return, or as a way to groom, but not groom you in return. They will lick something near them, but not you, because they aren't quite to the point yet where they want to groom you in return.

Their body language near each other, wasn't bad. They seemed pretty content with you petting them, even with the other rabbit near. If they didn't like each other at all, they wouldn't calm down like that. So that part was good. Maybe taking them to your parents will help, since it's a new area. Definitely try some bonding dates there. Maybe you'll have better success with it.

I'm not sure if putting them both in the same carrier for the trip, will be a problem or not. A fight wouldn't be good, but there's no way to know.

I agree with Jenny and they did seem really comfortable near to each other. I just love Doc and can´t wait until Rory gives in, I am so rooting for them. They do look so lovely side by side, they are such handsome bunnies.

It might be a good idea to try a few dates at your parents as neither will have been there before. And as for the carrier, it´s hard to tell but you´ll just have to follow your instincts, it´s not a really long drive for them.

Yes, they did seem pretty comfortable sitting next to each other. I'm rooting for them too, they really do look awesome together. And I can't wait until Rory gives in.

Hmm, I agree with Chris. Maybe you should try some dates at your parents house since its unfamiliar territory. About the carrier, like Chris said, just follow your instincts. Its not a very long drive.

I hate to think badly or anything; but maybe you should use two seperate carriers just incase? Is that possible? I think some neutral dates at your parents would be nice and hopefully *crosses fingers* will work out wonderfully!! Up to you though, obviously if they drive in the same carrier it's more of a 'stress-bonding' experience.. so good luck with whatever you decide, and pleeeease let us know!

I can't believe I just got around to watching the videos! I don't really have anything to add about their behaviors though. Other than they're SO pretty! Both of them!

Okay, glad the general consensus is that they are pretty comfortable together! I guess that's what I thought too, otherwise I wouldn't have put something negative up because it'd be disappointing, but it's great to hear it from other people. :) And I read the buns all your lovely compliments, they are blushing. :p

I'm still torn about the carrier. My parents were worried about that tonight when I went up for Mother's Day dinner (sans buns). They're mostly worried about a fight because I'll be on the freeway without an easy way to pull over immediately and stop them. Also my mom was like, "I don't want Doc to get hurt!" I laughed because obviously Rory could get hurt as well, but she just knows how Doc is a huge softy and feels bad he's getting picked on. :p Anyway, I could get a box for one, probably Ro, and have them separate if I wanted to. I would really like to have it as a stressing experience and then immediately have them in fresh territory, I think it'd be good for them. We'll see.

Can I just say.. I AM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO LUGGING EVERY RABBIT THING I OWN TO ORANGE COUNTY. Collapse both cages, fold up the pen, put it all in the trunk.. Gah, rabbits, get along already.

I hope everyone had a lovely Mother's Day, and Happy Mother's Day to us all for our children and our rabbits! I just joined my parents, my grandma, and my aunt and uncle for dinner in Orange County.

I couldn't imagine lugging all the rabbit stuff around. Pens and cages and hay and feed and ugh. No thanks!
I'm not sure about the carrier in the car. I would be totally worried about it but I'm a serious worrier. You sound pretty confident. Is it a bigger carrier or a smaller one? Whatever you think though, will be the right thing since you know them and they're yours! LOL
How far is your parents house from your house?

I'm sure they'll be fine! Maybe the stress of the car trip and the new place will help them to be closer to comfort each other. We can only hope. Maybe they'll just be magically bonded to each other at the end of the trip! haha. Lets all keep our fingers crossed for the magic.

Lyndy, don´t envy you having to take everything but I've done that before.

As for the journey, you have to go with what you think is best, if you are travelling alone then obviously it is difficult if a scuffle breaks out. Then again as Morgan says, it may be an instant bonding tool and when you get back from your visit, they´ll be two cuddly buns. Don´t I wish I had a crystal ball :spintongue

Latest posts

Back