Do your rabbits not jump?...aka how to keep rabbit in?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're using 8'' zip ties, they're probably too big and that's why they're coming loose. I've always used 4'' zip ties (and I can vouch for the brand Home Depot sells, I've used those before and they sell a HUGE bag of the 4'' ones).

Have you seen him getting out of the pen? Does he jump or climb out? At 28'', some rabbits can jump that... but climbing up a corner is a possibility, too. When my lionhead was younger, she repeatedly escaped from a FOUR FOOT TALL x-pen. I was totally stumped!... until one time, I finally walked out of my room and caught her halfway up - she was climbing the corner where the x-pen met the NIC condo. I put a stop to it by zip-typing a sheet of posterboard to the top of the x-pen in that corner.

Instead of, or as addition to, zip-ties you can use tape. The kind of thick plastic/rubbery "all purpose" tape found in hardware stores is great - slightly flexible so it won't break and durable and sticky if you roll it a few layers around the wires. It can be a little tricky to reach though but otherwise its great.

The current world record of rabbit show jumping in height is a little over 41"..that's on a leash, on command and not climbing anything. So a determined bunny might very well clear 30", and if they learn the skill of climbing (especially using the corners) they can get out from incredible heights..I've had a rabbit clear a 80" fence by climbing the corner once when she panicked.

My one rabbit is a bulldozer-houdini..she's a heavy one (flemish) and shouldn't be able to jump high..but nobody told her that. And when she can't jump she climbs..and if she can't climb she simply tears it down. I've used dog pens, compost bins made for roofs, fabric for toppers and various constructions.. they made it difficult for me to reach to clean, but worse than that she tore it down. I havn't used cc-grids because they are not readily available, but I don't see how they would be sturdy enough for my bulldozer bunny. I mean, the larger compost bins isn't sturdy enough and they're not stacked two or three panels on top of each other..

My other bunny though, the dwarf, is easy to keep contain. I'm pretty sure he could squeese through the compost bin grids if he wanted to but he never tries. Doesn't jump either..just a sweet, nice bunny that doesn't create havock *lol*

I think most rabbits never realize that the can get out, either by lack of trying or they learn at a young age that it's impossible. But for those who notice that fences can be cleared or broken down...well we get our work cut out for us.

This is my current solution, its used at night only. It's an outdoor rabbit and chicken pen, secure but very noisy and a tad difficult to reach due to only having a few smal doors. But by taping the panels (I keep the sprints in but tape it so it can't move and rattle) and removing the clips from one side of the roof + moving some spring-hooks to use as latches for it..I got a very sturdy, quiet and large cage (103x220cm or 87x40") with a top that can open for easier access. I've had it a few days and it's better than I anticipated..I'm going to get a second one today I think, and build them together.
It was 1200sek.. I've seen it for 99£ on ebay. The manufacturer is Kerbl.

So that's an option for escape bunnies. The wire is rather wide (3.5cm) , but my adult netherland mix would never be able to squese through even if he tried. Babies probably would.granngårdenbur4.jpg

Mine is 28", so just shy =/
I used the connectors and zip ties. I was 3 sections of shelving short, so I wound up using a sheet over the top last night.
:)

That's a really nice looking setup, but my doe (who sounds a bit like your buck) would break out of that in a heartbeat. I have 32" xpen pannels marketed for small-to-medium sized dogs, and my doe moves these pannels with ease if they're not locked down. She actually bent a piece of the inner iron bar to the point where it was sticking out horizontally!

Some rabbits can be amazingly strong and require commensurate housing accomodations. Having house rabbits is more about us adapting our homes to their needs moreso than the other way around :)

Latest posts

Back