Do your bunnies prefer a hay rack....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
So, here's the question. Do your bunnies prefer a hayrack, a container on the floor of their cage, or a pile just directly sitting on the floor of their cage for their hay?

If your answer is something other than the options listed, feel free to just reply and put what you and your bun use/prefer. Thanks! :D

The reason I ask is because Bunny seems to prefer just having her hay sit on the floor of her cage. The only problem is that she decides if it sits too long, she no longer wants to eat it (guess it smells too much like feet). I've tried a few different kinds of containers, and though I haven't outright tried a hay rack that attaches to her cage, I have a feeling she will snub it, as she dumps out EVERY container I try.

Any ideas? Is this a sign that she will snub a hay rack that attaches to the cage? Or is that the perfect solution? Anyone out there have the same problem?

Thanks guys...

ohh i have a big cardboard box that i fill with hay and the bunnies absolutely love sitting in the box and munching on some delicious hay,they can sit in there for ages,so yeah...the box of hay beats the hay rack.. my bunnies say:)

i have also used awicker basket to put their hay in and they also thought that was the greatest thing ever:)

cheryl

I put my rabbits hay into a shoe box, they love being in there just munching away. Iused to put it in one end of the litterbox, but it seemed they always ended up smushing most of it in their waste. A basket is good too.

8bunnies...8 hay racks attached to the side of their cages.....positioned over their litter pans so they can eat and poop at the same time (something that bunnies seem to bevery good at)

~Jim

my buns currently just eat it in a pile on the floor, but I'm contemplating the installation of hay racks for both of them to cut down on waste. Timothy is soo darn expensive here, as is everything else... *sigh*
WHAT?!? $10 for that?!? AAAHHH! my budget! :faint: you get the idea...

My babies love their hay ball. It has a bell on the bottom and clips on to their cage so they love eating hay and making noise at the same time.

(ball on the right)

IMG_1684.jpg

I use a hayrack and put it over their litterboxes. Supposedly you can pile hay on one side of the litterbox and the rabbit will sit on the other side, eating and pooping. Mine just poop in the hay.:? Loki likes taking the hayrack off the cage and throwing it around. Wierdo.:craziness That'll get fixed when I make him a rack out of an NIC grid since that gets ziptied to the cage. I also stuff hay in toys in the cage and around the room.

My bunny hated her hay rack. I kept trying to put it back in, but when it fell on her, I took it out for good. I would put her hay in her food dish, and a few months before she died, I would just put the bag of hay in her cage with her. She loved it! She didn't chew on the plastic, she would just sit and eat the hay. I wouldn't recommend that to everyone, as my bunny wasn't a chewer of plastic things.

I used to use a hay rack but Shadow would pull the rack off the cage, so I recently bought a hay wheel for him. It sets on the floor of his cage and he can roll it around and what not, and pull the hay outta it when he wants. Its made outta plastic and has bars on it so he can pull the hay threw, so its a permante thing.

I cant find a hay rack big enough for my bunnies to use! They only sell small ones in the pet shops etc here.

And even so Im not a total fan of them as my guinea pigs use to climb in the hay rack and then they would hurt themselves and get stuck in it, or caught up in it.

Although dont get me wrong, they can be a great ideato keep the hay clean!

Anyway, they love laying on/in it on their hutch floor, and munching while they are laying down (lazy!!) When they are in the garden they always lay down and munch on the grass around them. What a life :cool:

Loki likes taking the hayrack off the cage and throwing it around. Wierdo
LOL...Raph was doing that too, so I anchored itto the side of the cagewith twist ties and now he can't move it at all. (Not that he doesn't try...;))

I put a huge handful of hay on the side of their litterbox they don't pee on...they just love pooping and munching at the same time! Also, hay doesn't end up all over the cage!! :colors:

-Vanessa

Leo loves his hay in the hay rack or he wont eat it (instead he makes it dirty) but Luke loves his hay on the ground and cant eat it if its in the hay rack...

Linz_1987 wrote:
I cant find a hay rack big enough for my bunnies to use! They only sell small ones in the pet shops etc here.

And even so Im not a total fan of them as my guinea pigs use to climb in the hay rack and then they would hurt themselves and get stuck in it, or caught up in it.

Although dont get me wrong, they can be a great ideato keep the hay clean!

Anyway, they love laying on/in it on their hutch floor, and munching while they are laying down (lazy!!) When they are in the garden they always lay down and munch on the grass around them. What a life :cool:

There's all sorts of homemade hay racks you can use if you want to. If it wasn't inconvenient because of the way the cages are right now, I'd just zip tie a plastic dish pan to the side of the cage over the litterbox, cut a big hole in the top, and voila. They can pull it through the cage bars, and no risk of injury to little piggies. Instead, I use a bent NIC grid with cardboard on the back to prevent as much hay from falling out. My buns make the hay really gross, so I don't like putting it on the floor or litterbox for them.

My lop likes to eat her hay off the floor in her cage. Guess what, fellow forum members?? Today was the day Thor went outside for good! The temp is 5 (40F) and it's bright and sunny! Bun couldn't wait to go out, and my husband couldn't wait for her to go out either! We just got some hay from a farmer, and scattered it all over her outdoor fenced in area, and also inside her little sheltered sleeping area. I put quite a bit into the wheel well, so she can take her afternoon nap up there comfortably. I checked on her a few times this afternoon, and she's a very happy bunny! (and my husband's very happy as well). I told him Thor was trying to tell him she wanted to go out, but perhaps she had to be 'bad' enough to do this. I do recall him saying something like.."OK rabbit! That's it-you're going out today!". I don't think she could be happier.:bunnydance:

Thank you Naturestee :DI will keep a look out for things for a home made hay rack. But I think being outside bunnies they keep warmer laying on hay (or straw for that matter)

Do you all think that hay racks are more hygeinic? Or just a better idea in all?

I dont think it is neccesary for the piggies to have a hay rack as before you can say 'you piggies!' The hay is all gone!

But Im not sure about the bunnies. A hay rack will probually take up all the room they have in their hutch :?

Latest posts

Back