Do you sort through your hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlebuns

Reaction score
I’ve tried buying loose hay from a place that sells bales (as it was $1/kg, score!) except it wasn’t a score because I spent 6 days sorting through the 5kg (only cost $5) of hay and inhaling mouldy hay, giving me a dry cough. Yep. I must have thrown out half of the bag as it was just bad bad hay. I’ve resorted back to buying the $13/kg bags of hay from local pet shops that is usually a hit or miss with quality. I’ve begun sorting through that hay to throw out the particularly bad pieces and my family has gotten mad at me since this hay cost $13 and theres not that much of it. My question is do you sort through your hay? Or do you just generally get very green very good hay? I can’t seem to find good sources yet…

Have begun ordering online from Rabbit Hole hay, because the hay seems fresher than from the pet and feedstore. Also, if it is too dry, they will send youa replacement if you let them know.

Have you tried looking for other farmers nearby? Maybe you just happened on a bad batch? You could possibly open the hay in the car to see if it's good and if not, ask for a change?

We started off with pet store hay, expensive by nature, and it just ran out too fast, or it had too many grassy bits in it.
So we snooped around and found a connection who had bale hay left from when they owned rabbits. That hay was free but not the best quality-it had stood useless for a year or two. Some bits were dubious but most lot of it was fine. Those bales ran out and we began searching for other farmers.
We found one fairly nearby and went to look- mixed bales, smelled nice, didn't look grey and stale. We paid 50cents per bale (roughly 5kg bales?) and all of it was usable, save for some natural small bibbity bits. So we went back and have current stock from the same place. Last year's fresh bales are really something.

Have begun ordering online from Rabbit Hole hay, because the hay seems fresher than from the pet and feedstore. Also, if it is too dry, they will send youa replacement if you let them know.
Yes I’ve heard many people order hay online but due to the pandemic I can’t order anything into my country so I guess I have to stick to local stock.

Have you tried looking for other farmers nearby? Maybe you just happened on a bad batch? You could possibly open the hay in the car to see if it's good and if not, ask for a change?

We started off with pet store hay, expensive by nature, and it just ran out too fast, or it had too many grassy bits in it.
So we snooped around and found a connection who had bale hay left from when they owned rabbits. That hay was free but not the best quality-it had stood useless for a year or two. Some bits were dubious but most lot of it was fine. Those bales ran out and we began searching for other farmers.
We found one fairly nearby and went to look- mixed bales, smelled nice, didn't look grey and stale. We paid 50cents per bale (roughly 5kg bales?) and all of it was usable, save for some natural small bibbity bits. So we went back and have current stock from the same place. Last year's fresh bales are really something.
Yeah theres quite a few stockfeeders around, I’ve compiled a list of the most recommended places but now it’s just a matter of finding the time to make the trek to all these places. Hopefully I’ll strike gold!

Latest posts

Back