Do you need to clean a rabbit's scent glands?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to take my female cat in once every year to have her scent glands expressed; then a couple of years ago my Vet told me it was completely unneccessary as once he expresses them they will fill up (its their job to be full); the only time he said to have this done is if they get infected/impacted..

I would think it would be the same in rabbits.

Wow, this is all very surprising. I've been cleaning scent glands monthly for a year now. I guess it's not necessary, I will probably keep doing it though. At the very least checking them monthly. I just did glands at the rescue today when grooming. They were very icky. :yuck

I found it all fascinating, I have 6 rabbits all from different places, breeder(2), previous owner, pet store(2). I noticed it after I checked my female then I checked my other girls. I didn't think about the boys, I just thought it was a girl thing. It would be nice to have a clear answer, I don't want to if it will hurt but if it will help...

Latest posts

Back