Do you live in the city or country?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you live in the city or country?

• Town (1,000 to 20,000)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Larger town (20,000 to 100,000)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zuppa

Reaction score
Hi, I came across this forum a couple months ago and find that it is very friendly and safe place to be and also tons of helpful information and advise, great source for educating myself, really happy to be here with you :)

I didn't even imagine that so many people across the globe keep rabbits and many of you I see have more than one or two and keep rabbits for decades, I was just wondering if people keeping rabbits live mostly on the countryside or in cities or smaller towns or farms I think that people living in different circumstances must have different motivation to keep rabbits, and their rabbits have different lifestyles, too.

I live in a city apartment and my rabbits are 100% indoor so I keep learning how to keep them clean and happy as possible here. I've created this poll if you want to state where you live or just share your story that would be interesting and nice I think :)

I used Wikipedia to define settlement hierarchy based on population size to make it easier for everybody

I live more on the country side in Sweden with my rabbits.

I have 2 outdoors and one free roaming indoors. My rabbits outdoors have the opportunity to dig up the back yard and make underground traps for me to step in when I go out. They get fresh branches from the trees growing around for example hassle, apple, maple, sallow and aspen branches.

I don’t have to worry about the temperature outside because during the summer the house will be warmer than outside and winter time my rabbits love playing in the snow.

During the winter it won’t be so much branches because the trees won’t grow and not so good chopping of branches, but spring to autumn they get fresh branches everyday.

The outdoor rabbits are used with wild animals visiting them but they live in hutches off ground and will be locked in during the night, to keep them safe.

The indoor rabbit is the most spoiled baby in the family even though he’s the second oldest of my rabbits. I think having the rabbit indoor make it a lot easier to take care of but the indoor bun have soo many bad habits. From begging for food, jumping up on people’s knees when being ignored, licking people feet to get attention and so on.

The outdoor rabbit are more calm and independent. They don’t chase people, they come when they want to cuddle and live their life.

One of my outdoor rabbits always escape when his cat friend come and visit. The cat often watch him while he jump around in the forest or they snuggle up with each other. Have no idea whose big fat cat always come visiting the bunnies outside. But the pen is safer know, manage to figure out how he broke out but he will always come when you call his name.

I think the best with not living in the city, is that I can go out with the rabbits and let them eat grass without being worried about anything toxic in the grass.

You also will get animals which you don’t own walk into the house, from dogs to doves [emoji23]

The outdoor rabbit are more calm and independent. They don’t chase people, they come when they want to cuddle and live their life.

I think the best with not living in the city, is that I can go out with the rabbits and let them eat grass without being worried about anything toxic in the grass.
That's true! One of my lop girls was an outdoor I adopted her just two weeks ago, she's very calm and natural, but she is changing, I think she only got attention from the mother of the three girls who needed to feed her and clean her hutch lately as kids lost interest in her, so she had to find ways how to entertain herself and she's really very laid back. Also she have an incredible thick and silky coat really rich fantastic fur, which is also changing now because she's indoor and a bit warmer than outside. I think indoor rabbits are getting too much attention and then demanding attention when not getting it, like if kids are getting too much attention and toys they starting seeking more attention and sometimes can become hysterical. I put a cork pinboard in front of cages for a few hours so they can't see me and I find that it gives them time for themselves they don't depend on my moves and not expecting me to entertain them. The only I am trying not to block the light with it.

I also never thought that going to the city park could harm them, but now I agree that they use weed killers and also need to keep grass out of footpaths so using chemicals for that. We have a few wild parks around too, I think it is safe to take them there, I'll fix a basket on my bicycle and will definitely take them out, one by one. Not to public city park.
I was also thinking about taking them to the beach, not too close to waterline maybe but I am not too sure if sand and sea salt are good for them, fresh air wouldn't harm anyway maybe they can stay in their travel box for an hour or two.

By the way, they all like travel box and when it's moving and all the sounds and fresh air outside, they become very relaxed, I didn't have any problem bringing them on bus they looked very relaxed.

This was actually a hard question to anwer for me. Technically, my city (Kentwood) is ~50k, but it's part of a larger city (Grand Rapids) of ~200k; half my mail lists one city, and half lists the other (for some reason I have yet to figure out). The Grand Rapids metro area is just over 1M. I chose "city" in the poll.

I live in a two-story house in a tucked-away suburb, and I keep my rabbits indoors 24/7 where they have free range of both floors. I know the HRS advocates 100% indoors living, but I think outdoors or mixed living can be healthy for rabbits as well, as is common in Norway and other Eurpoean contries.

Even though I'd like my rabbits to experience the outside, I've never done so... there seem to be a lot of variables outside that could potentially be dangerous or frightening for indoor rabbits, and I take some comfort in the more controlled environment they have inside. (E.g., no potential to get scared by a dog, come into contact with infected racoon feces, eat dangerous plants, romp in pesticided grass, etc.)

It can be a handful to have free-roaming house rabbits, but it's immensely rewarding and I love these little guys.

I live in a small town in south Australia but we have a large block and have lots of room for the rabbits i have 2 outside cages and only bring them in if its too hot or too cold, i will, be making a new cage because i am looking to breed them but for when i get the cage 1 of my girls will be living in it because the other one has behavior problems. i adore my rabbits but not sure if i am going to always have them because i have gotten into barrel racing and need more money for that. I might still be able to keep them because i grow most of their food, but would hate to loose them.

Latest posts

Back