Do you leave the light on?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lola13

Reaction score
Well, this kind of came about when I use to have a dog, and I knew I was going to be home after dark, I would leavea light on for him. So now, I feel like I should leave a light on for zentor. It's mostly during occations when it's like 6 o'clock and I have to go out to the store, then I like to leave the light on for him. My boyfriend thinks it's silly and that zentor doesn't care if the light is on or not.

Let me know what you all think? do you leave the light on for your buns?

My rabbits are outside.
I think you should have it on/off at certain times so the rabbit has certain body clock times for sleep and does not get confused.

We bought these awesome digital timers at Walmart...
They have up to 8 different time settings...so we never have to worry about coming home late and the house being dark. The timers turn on at 4:30pm and off at 11:00pm. Saves hydro too!

We have one for each bunny room! Life savers for us!

Danielle:)

thats the thing, we normally are awake with the light on untill about 11 - 12 at night, so I feel silly turning the light off if we are leaving for a little while, cuz its not his bed time yet. :p haha Plus he's super active and awake when it gets dark as well, so it doesnt make sense to turn the light off on him. I knew I wasnt carzy. haha

Lola13 wrote:
thats the thing, we normally are awake with the light on untill about 11 - 12 at night, so I feel silly turning the light off if we are leaving for a little while, cuz its not his bed time yet. :p haha Plus he's super active and awake when it gets dark as well, so it doesnt make sense to turn the light off on him. I knew I wasnt carzy. haha
Rabbits are normally noctural so activity at night is normal.

Lucy has quite an erratic light schedule though I like to keep her cage covered with towels after about midnight.

You know, I actually kind of feel like he never sleeps. Except for like a 4 hour window in the day where I can't tell if he's asleep or not on account that his eyes are mostly open, yet he is lying completely on his side. I have come to the conclusion that when he nose stops, is when he is sleeping. In the mornings he is all excited and waits for me to fill his food bowl and let him out. Then at night he's back to running around and acting silly. how much sleep should they get?

I we're just getting home from work late, then no, we don't leave a light on and we just turn it on when we get home.

If we're already home and need to pop out to the store or something, then yes, we'll leave the light on. I don't mind it being on for an hour when we're not home, but I'm not comfortable leaving it on all day with no one there because it's a waste of electricity and I don't think Otto cares.

ETA: As for how much sleep they should get, I imagine most buns sleep at least 10-12 hours a day. Mine is awake from about 5:30am - 11am, then he sleeps until 4 or 5pm, then he's awake until midnight (or later, I wouldn't know). However, even during those "awake" times he'll often take naps for 30 min at a time and isn't the most active bunny.

When we're home,I turn the light onfor Guswhen it starts to get dark and leave it on until we go to bed. If we're going out after dark, I leave it on just the same as if we were staying home.

He probably doesn't care one whit whether the light is off or on, but I figure it's better to keep him on the same schedule. ;)

Gus has a very similar schedule to Elrohwen's bunny. He's wide awake and ready for his breakfast when we're up around 7-7:30. Then he comes out for some play time usually till around lunch time, then he's grumpy and sleepy till 5-6 when he's up ready for his salad. Then he's awake and ready to play till we put him to bed at 10 or 11 pm. If we're up later (say if we have a movie night on a weekend), he'll still be up till we put him to bed.

Rabbits cat-nap a lot (and tend to sleep with their eyes open or half-open) so it can be hard to tell when they're actually asleep. The nose is definitely a good indicator.

Hope that helps!

Rue

funnybunnymummy wrote:
When we're home,I turn the light onfor Guswhen it starts to get dark and leave it on until we go to bed. If we're going out after dark, I leave it on just the same as if we were staying home.

He probably doesn't care one whit whether the light is off or on, but I figure it's better to keep him on the same schedule. ;)

Gus has a very similar schedule to Elrohwen's bunny. He's wide awake and ready for his breakfast when we're up around 7-7:30. Then he comes out for some play time usually till around lunch time, then he's grumpy and sleepy till 5-6 when he's up ready for his salad. Then he's awake and ready to play till we put him to bed at 10 or 11 pm. If we're up later (say if we have a movie night on a weekend), he'll still be up till we put him to bed.

Rabbits cat-nap a lot (and tend to sleep with their eyes open or half-open) so it can be hard to tell when they're actually asleep. The nose is definitely a good indicator.

Hope that helps!

Rue

And I only know he gets up at 5:30am because we spent a few days with him in our bedroom while visiting my mother in law. Ugh ... I don't know how people do it! He was a noisy little bugger.

And you're right about sleeping with eyes open. Otto will sit in a holland lop show pose type position, half close his eyes, stop twitching his nose,and rock back and forth while he's taking a nap in the middle of the living room. Lol.I think they sleep more than we know because they can drift off without lying down or closing their eyes.

zentor also rocks back and forth when hes sitting, I didn't know if it was a problem or if it was a quark (sp?). haha
We also have his cage in our room, and he can deffinatly wake me up in the morning. sometimes he gets bored around 7 or so and if I haven't woken up by then he starts to run around his cage. most of the time he is paitent with us. my boyfriend and I are currently unemployeed so we have lots of free time and have gotten pretty lazy in the morning.

Due to my class schedule I am usually in and out all day so I don't get to worried about the lights. But if I am going out in the late afternoon and I know that I'm not going to be coming back until after dark, then I leave a light on for Sabrina. I don't really think that I need to, but I feel better knowing that she has a light on. For some reason it makes me think that she will get into less trouble!

I have a small night light that I turn on in the bunny room when it gets dark. It's not bright enough that it would mess up their schedule, but it's enough so that I can see when I go into their room at night without turning more lights on. No more tripping on bunny toys in the middle of the night, when I get random urges to check on them. :p

irishlops wrote:
Lola13 wrote:
Rabbits are normally noctural so activity at night is normal.
Actually, rabbits are crepuscular species, they're most active at dawn and dusk.

We use to give Bentley a nightlight, just a small plug in light by her cage.. eventually it burnt out. I just kinda forgot about it, and she stays in the dark now at night and when we aren't home at night. Otherwise her cage is right by a window, so its always light during the daytime. I don't think she cares to much

If we leave we turn a light on in the kitchen for all the pets just because.

but all of our gang is in the same room cat dog bird rabbit.

We live in a one bedroom apartment

Dogs are diurnal, so perhaps it makes sense to leave a light on. Rabbits don't really care if you have a light on for them - not only are they crepuscular, but they live in underground warrens in the wild, so dark doesn't bother them.

I'm glad this thread came up. I've been debating for a while weather or not it was important to leave a light on for my pets. I know my family leaves a small lamp on for their dogs but i wasnt sure if it mattered to rabbits.

In general I leave the lights off but open up a window so natural light gets in. In addition I have a tortoise who needs heatlamps anyway, so I guess that's another source of light I dont mind leaving on because its not really wasting electricity.

Latest posts

Back