Do you know French? please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
I'm going to have a little brass name plate made and stick it to Sir Toby's bunny condo. He lives in Le Chateau and hubby and I often call him "To" for short. Now, I don't know what's proper French: Le Chateau d'To or Le Chateau de To? :? I don't want to put the wrong thing on the plate! :biggrin: Can anyone help me?

Le Chateau d'To looks like the right one to me. I have only taken 1 quarter of French so I am not real sure about which is the right one.

About.com seems to say that" Michel's book" uses "de". So if it's Toby's castle it should be Le chateau de Toby. It doesn't mention d' at all-- maybe i got it wrong and d' is Italian?! LOL! I studied Spanish in school so I don't know any French grammar.
http://french.about.com/library/prepositions/bl-devsdes.htm

I think using translators for general wordage is ok, but I am wary.about using it for grammar. There's room for contextual error, but I don't know if the machine knows Toby is a proper noun, and it may make a difference? :? *shrug*!

Le chateau de Toby is correct. I was in French immersion for most of my schooling, though I'm mostly terrible at it now lol. D' would be used if his name started with a vowel. :)

"de" is correct, I was also in French Immersion, but it's been a long time for me too :p

I believe d' is only used as an abbreviation for words that start with a vowel. Since To starts with a consonant, you use the full "de".

-Dawn

I'm french and I confirm:

Le Château de To

Notice the '^' on the 'a'... That's IF you want it completely correct. :) Cute!

Latest posts

Back