Do You Have Any Real Phobias?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have panic attacks when my nose and mouth are covered for more than a few seconds. I even have a hard time being under a blanket when playing hide and seek with little ones.
When I had my son they tried to get me to wear an oxegyn mask and I went into a full blown panic attack. I barely remember Chris trying to tell that I needed to wear it. I dint think they got me to wear dor more than a little at a time.

My phobia is getting botulism from a dented can and dying. I'm not even kidding. I wouldn't even feed my cats dented cans.
It only takes a little dent to let a small amount of air in the can and start the bacterial growth on the food. So when we go to the store and I have to get something canned, I make sure that it has no dents and if I can feel a small dent on the last item of something I will tear the wrapper off and make sure there are no dents.
I remember reading this article about some scientists that found a ship wreck where the canned food was still on the ship in steel cans, they opened them up and the food was okay or something. I can't remember the whole article because they showed pictures of the cans and I lost it. They were all dented and rusted and all I could think about was botulism. BOTULISM!

Ugh, now I'm having heart palpitations just thinking about dented cans and botulism.

(PS I laughed really hard thinking of a girl throwing up on another girl. I bet it was hysterical in person. Thats a deal breaker for anything. If you throw up on me, I'm done with you. haha. Thankfully no one has thrown up on me.)

Trying to be as calm as possible around your son when dealing with the "V" word is a good thing otherwise you could pass your fear onto him.

I do not do heights and I can't even force myself past the fear because I also get very dizzy which makes it more likely that I will fall and I get the uncontrollable feeling that someone will push me. It doesn't matter who I am with. It also depends on what's around me. I can get on a ladder inside but not outside.

I also have a phobia of tics. I can not stand them and they freak me out. I can only pull one off if absolutely no one is around. Last year I walked to my neighbors and he pulled one off the back of my neck. That one I couldn't see either but as soon as I touched it I knew what it was. I get dizzy, feel like passing out and hyperventilating. I usually call for my husband and he can tell by my voice what I am calling him for, I don't have to do more than call his name. When I was growing up my parents got Reader's Digest which I used to read. One Drama In Real Life story was about a man that crashed his small plane in the Amazon and he was stranded in the jungle for a while. Flies laid eggs in his wounds and it talked of him feeling itchy as the maggots crawled beneath his skin. I think that's what did it for me. The first tic I ever got or anyone around me had wasn't until I was 20. Before that I didn't realize I had the fear. I also went through the same when a small moth flew into my ear and couldn't get back out so I guess it's any bugs that are in you or partially in you.

My daughter has it with balloons because she had one pop next to her face when about 8 and it actually bruised her face.

Agnes, my rational self knows that I can still breath but I cannot get past the thought of running out of air. I have a hard time with a scarf over my face in the winter while I shovel my drive. I will only do it if its supper cold and then i have to stop and uncover often just so I can breath.

I am still officially scared and nervous about being in the dark. I can't do it. I always feel like someone's watching me or going to come out of a corner somewhere. I slept with my tv on even after I graduated from high school. I still have to have some sort of light on. It really creeps me out.

I have phobias of getting attacked by sharks in the ocean and getting attacked by muskies in lakes or rivers!! also terrified of lightning!!

I have 2 big fears that affect my daily life. 1 is raw meat. I actually had a customer today who had a run in with some uncooked steak (kitchens fault) and I had to bring it back into the kitchen and I instantly started scrubbing my hands and arms with soap! I just freak out! i dont know why, I am studying to be a vet tech, its not the dead animal or the blood that gets to me really its just .....disgusting and scary. lol i know its odd.
and the second fear is fire. It took me until my sophomore year of high school before I could turn on the gas stove in my house. I used to have to have my YOUNGER sister do it for me if i was cooking. and I still cant handle sitting close to a bonfire or going to a firework show. fourth of july is my own personal hell because of this. lol

I dont know where these fears came from. but they are definitely odd.

It took me two years to have the guts to turn on the stove here as well! And even still, I'll only light the oven if my partner is around (of course, if she's around, I make her do it).

I have the normal fears, spiders and public speaking, especially bad, but I do have a weird phobia.

I'm terrified of feathers.
Yes, I know, I live with a bird. But I watch said bird take baths every day so he doesn't freak me out, but if one of his feathers comes off and is on my floor, I am not touching it. But that's nowhere near as bad as a feather from outside. You can pick me up and chase me with them because I'll do anything to avoid being touched by one. Over break, I was organizing my partner's desk, and I accidentally touched a feather (why there was a giant feather under some of her clothes, I'm not sure...) and I started screaming and flipping out and washing my hands obsessively and made her not only move the feather, but wash the shirt that it was under, and scrub the desk.

And yes, people laugh at me when I tell them I'm afraid of feathers but not birds.

Hair. I'm afraid of hair.
Just human hair though, not animal fur.
If it's still attached to the scalp it doesn't bother me as much, unless the person has REALLY long hair, then I have to maneuver myself so I'm sure it won't touch me if they turn around.

I can't clean out my own hairbrushes, it makes me twitchy and anxious and just really freaks me out.
Luckily I still live at home so my mother will clean them for me, when I have my own place I'll probably have to throw them out and buy new ones. >..>

And if I'm in the shower and someone left hair in the drain it tweaks me out too. There's just SOMETHING about hair that I can't tolerate. It just looks, and feels disgusting. I can't even look at my hairbrush before or after using it, and god forbid I accidentally touch the hair left over in the brush. Then I have to go scrub my hands, all the way up my elbows, and feel extremely jarred.

I just can't tolerate it, I can touch other people's hair for the most part (when it's attached to them) as long as they don't bump into me and touch my skin with their hair. If I know it's coming it doesn't bother me much.

I need to stop now, I'll just keep ranting about the evil's of hair if I keep it up.

I forgot, I am also a white knuckle flyer. I have flown several times including overseas so I know it won't go away. I plan to never fly again. I can't eat for days before and cannot eat or drink during. I don't sleep well for days before either. I don't get up while on the plane also. When my son was a baby we had to fly overseas just me and him. He cried the whole way to the airport, for three hours while waiting there and for the eight hour flight. It was because he was picking up on my emotions. I thought people on the plane were going to kill me. He did stop once when a soldier on the plane held him.

I dreamt last night that my husband and his friend were going to the space station for two days. I could go to but I was trying to decide whether I would rather be away from him for two days or fly to the space station. I was really agonizing over the decision and could feel all of the strong emotions and fear. I told my husband about it this morning and he laughed and said I must really love him if I was thinking of going through with that flight just so I could be with him the two days. He's right!

I think some fears come for a reason even if we are too young to remember it. Such as having a bad experience. I think others just aren't as understandable. I know my fear of flying is mostly the fear of something going wrong but even more than that is feeling there is nothing you can do if something did go wrong. I am not the one flying so have no control over that. Being that you are in the air you have no option but to sit there and let what happens happen. I don't do so well in situations that could be dangerous and I feel I have no control. The thought of a tornado terrifies me but I know I would be a lot calmer if we had a basement because then I feel I have a better option. If that all makes since.

My sister is terrified of worms which I don't completely understand as they don't move fast and cannot hurt you. I now realize how hard it must be for her. I can remember her leaving like an hour early to get to the bus for school on days it was rainy so she had time to walk carefully to avoid worms.

Severed hands. Ran into a couple that suprised me and now gloves left out (which is EVERYWHERE in the Army) freak me out. I was driving home and out of the corner of my eye I saw what looked like a severed hand on the side of the road. It was branches and debris but out of the corner of my eye it freaked me out enough to drive off the road. Thankfully other military people understand "I'm just having a PTSD moment."

Also wont go in the ocean. It's large, dark, covers 80% of the earth and do you think they've discovered everything in it? Nope. Wont do it. I'll stick my ankles in it but when I see a school of fish swimming my way I'm walking on water to get out of the way.

Needles. I will escape them by any means necessary. I think about, what if I get pregnant? They will inject me with things! What if I get in a major accident and need stitches or anything like that?! I am so scared. Thinking about it now just makes me...shudder ugh. So scared. I will eventually have to have injections for whatever reason but I will pass out like normal. Last time I had to get a shot I warned Leo! I warned him! He didn't believe me. I passed the hell out and hit my head on the floor. Woke up and these people were standing over me and I thought I was dreaming. Ugh.

I am still officially scared and nervous about being in the dark. I can't do it. I always feel like someone's watching me or going to come out of a corner somewhere. I slept with my tv on even after I graduated from high school. I still have to have some sort of light on. It really creeps me out.

I have that too. In the dark I feel like someone is watching me, waiting for the right moment to jump out and attack. I mean I'm not that scared I usually sleep with the light off, but I still am a little scared.

I'm fine with the dark, but I cannot sleep if the wardrobe door is open, even if it's only a tiny crack, I just can't do it. I'm also terrified of spiders, some types more than others. I can handle spiders outdoors and find them fascinating, but if I find a spider in the bedroom which we dispose of, I won't sleep properly for at least a week.

Otherwise, the only thing I've ever had a panic attack for was a rollercoaster. They absolutely terrify me. You know how you hear people screaming on rollercoasters, but it's only the "wee we're having fun scream" well I scream on rollercoasters like I'm being murdered, and I'm not joking, lol. I've only been on them because I've gone to Disneyworld with my fiance several times, there's one I enjoy going on, one I love to ride although it terrifies me and I always panic in line. And then there's one that I can't get on at all and I can't breath and get dizzy. I've never been on a rollercoaster with loops either, I just can't bring myself to do it, knowing how terrified I already am of other rollercoasters. What doesn't help is because my fiance loves rollercoasters, he doesn't understand why I freak out and so isn't the best at sympathising and being able to calm me down.

Lifts (elevators), I have panic attacks if inside them, however I am not clasutophobic (been in caves and small places and had no problem with it).
I think when I was 4 I seen a horror show and it had a lift fall down the shaft and kill the person inside, that would have many impacted me into the phobia.

On the plus I walk up and down stairs all the time - healthier.

Latest posts

Back