Do unspayed females have periods?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that it looks more like pee than blood. Blood is stringier and thicker, and doesn't just add color to the urine. It will be in clumps in the urine.

Rabbits are induced ovulators, meaning that instead of having hormones that cycle through their bodies on a monthly basis that lead to ovulation (like humans and many other mammals), rabbits only ovulate immediately after they have mated with a male. The act of mating causes a signal to go to their ovaries to release eggs to be fertilized. Cats are the same way.

This strategy is really useful for an animal that survives by producing large litters at any time that the environment is opportune for their survival. It means that as soon as it warms in the spring and the environment can support lots of bunnies, a female can mate and have babies without waiting for her ovulatory cycle to occur.

The fact that males don't stick around females often in the wild also helps--the chance of encountering a male rabbit is sometimes pretty low for a female rabbit, so she has to have every mating "count" for fertilization.

It's true that blood in the urine is often a sign of uterine tumors or infection, or bladder infection. The 80% of unspayed does getting cancer figure is a bit exaggerated but often misquoted. I've looked at the scientific article they're talking about, and it says that around 80% of unspayed females have uterine tumors by that age. The tumors may or may not be cancerous. Whether the tumors are cancerous or not, they're certainly not good for the rabbit's health. It's very important to get her spayed unless you plan on using her for breeding and/or showing.

I am definatly considering getting her spayed, she wasn't sooner because she might of been bred from but as it hasn't happerned it is worth considering. I think I will go down to the vets and discuss it with them. It's the risk factor that comes with putting a animal under that bothers me. I just want to know that she'd be alright, Clover is our little girl, she all ways wants cuddles and gives you a good groom. I'd never forgive myself if anything happerned to her at the vets, yet I'd feel the same way if something happerned to her if I didn't.

Quick update, It does look like carrots were the cause, she's been fine since, with no signs of blood anywhere, I'll still monitor her though and see how she goes.

You shouldn’t give your Bun Bun a lot of carrots though.. Carrots have a lot of Sugar that can cause tummy issues to some rabbits.

Latest posts

Back