Do they poop out objects they eat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitelop

Morgan
Reaction score
So Ellie chewed half of a side of her litter box, I'm pretty sure that she ate the plastic. Terrible I know.
So today when she ate a crayon, I got worried about her having some sort of blockage from the plastic and crayon.
I think she'll pass the crayon, but do rabbits poop out bits of plastic? Would the pieces of plastic she nibbled off be too small to even notice or small enough to pass one at a time?
But, you know how dogs poop out all kinds of weird things, does that work with rabbits seeing as they digest things differently?
Will she pass everything, the crayon and the plastic too?

I'm feeling a little worried about a blockage now! Talk me off the ledge.

She should be ok, rabbits seem to chew things off in quite small pieces (unless it's soft enough to tear off), and if she did actually eat some, I doubt she would have swallowed it down without it being a manageable size. I'd keep a close eye on her, but I think she should be ok :)

My rabbits have chewed plastic off their litter box and feeding dishes before, too. I think that the pieces they chew off are so small that even if it is ingested, it shouldn't cause a problem. The problematic things are items like threads and carpet fibers that can't be chewed into small bits, and may be ingested as one large piece.

I'm sure she'll be just fine. Dumb rabbits :) Don't they know it's not good for them?!

Little bits in small pieces are not really cause for concern. It's the big pieces, or little pieces in large quantities. Keep an eye on her, of course, but she should be ok.

Latest posts

Back