Do rabbits recognize their owners?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelly

Gelly
Reaction score
I’ve read mixed opinions online and I’m curious if my bun knows who I am. I’m almost certain he does and it’s probably a silly question but I’m curious what markers they use to recognize people.

Yes, they do, I'm sure of that. They are social animals with a complex hierachy, so the concept of different people isn't something unusual to them.

I see it when people visit, who they avoid, or recognice and check out. There is a difference, even if someone comes by just 3 times a year.

What markers they use - that is actually a quite interesting question. Unlike some dogs or cats I can't fool them with clothing easily, I think it's a quite subtle combination of how we sound, move, behave etc., of what how we are.

Theo definitely knows who I am. He goes through depression when I am gone on vacation and then when I come back, he is completely normal. I think it is also the way we talk. I normally baby talk to him so he knows when I am talking to him, or when I am talking to someone else.

I believe they do even though I go to my bed to sleep, my bunny Odin want to walk into my room. Otherwise he will stand outside and stare at my door and wait until a person can open for him. It’s like my friend that have come over and met him 5 times, he know her, so he often will give a few kisses to her. The first time he met her he avoided and didn’t give any kisses. So they know the people they meet. Otherwise my bunny Toste wouldn’t still have trauma towards kids. If I let him meet a kid he will be grumpy and scared.

I’ve read mixed opinions online and I’m curious if my bun knows who I am. I’m almost certain he does and it’s probably a silly question but I’m curious what markers they use to recognize people.
I'm pretty sure they recognise people , but i don't know how.
😁 😁 🥰 🥰 ♥ ♥ ❤ ❤

Of course, your bun recognizes you. All seven of our rabbits prefer me over my wife. I can pet them at will; however, when she tries touching them they will usually shy away. I am their main care-giver, so this is understandable. My wife usually limits herself to giving them treats, which they accept from her, eagerly. Oddly, one of them prefers to jump up on her lap, but only rarely onto mine. :)

I believe scent and the sound of our voices are their main clues as to who is who.

For sure, when a stranger walks into the house, they know it and will thump, run and hide. You bet, bunnies recognize different people.

Absolutely they do. Every time I enter the bunny room, they greet me standing at the fence...get so excited. My one bun will lay beside or on me and want his cuddles/pets and kisses... It's sweet!
I believe it's mostly the voice, but I'm sure they recognize me as well

I think they also recognize our scent. We used to bunny sit Artie, the bunny we now own. He used to smell my son's shoes all the time when we were bunny sitting. Now that we own Artie, my mom, who bunny sits, says he smells our shoes when we go away.

Bunster knows who I am! Lol lil' stinker! She also knows the sound of me getting her daily pellets. 😂 She probably recognizes my voice better than my person though. I baby talk Bunster too @Mariam+Theo So that probably helps her recognize me too.

My bunny definitely recognizes me and tries to get my attention in different ways. She's attached to me more than my husband, but not by much. She does things with him she doesn't do with me though--like he can get her to run to the other side of her x pen for petting, but I usually have to lure her with some banana.

I absoultely think they can! Jypsy will come up to me and me only. I have tried getting her used to my family but i have to be there and when she gets near them and sniffs them she will run from them and come to me. She goes crazy when she can hear or see me and gets SUPER excited!!!

100% My bun recognises me, she comes to find me and when I walk up to her she comes running yet when Someone else does she doesn’t even look up! They know! For sure! Xxxx

Latest posts

Back