Do rabbits *need* other rabbits to be happy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloe-trash

Reaction score
So I accidentally posted an album of Briar pics to Imgur on public when I'd meant to make it private.

Got lots of really nice comments, but one person chastised me for not having a second rabbit for her to be with, telling me that rabbits are not happy unless they have another rabbit friend. That I need another bunny or I'm doing Briar a disservice.

Is that true? I mean I know bunnies are social creatures, I give her lots of freeroam time, basically anytime I'm not working she is hopping around me room or cuddling up to me. I give her lots of affection and make her fun toys to play with.

If I do need to get another bun, is one x-pen enough for both of them while I'm at work? I'd still let them out whenever I'm home but I dont think I have room for another pen in my room x.x

It really depends on the rabbit and how much time you have to spend with her. If she spends several hours with you each day and seems happy and engaged, then she is probably just fine. If you aren't able to spend a lot of time with her, then yes, she could probably benefit from having a bunny friend(if she is spayed). But there are also some rabbits that don't like having another rabbit around at all. So those rabbits are better off just having human companions.

I don't have a lot of time to spend one on one with my rabbits, so they have bunny companions which they are very happy with. It gives them someone to snuggle with, groom, eat with, etc. As long as you are able to find the right match, it can be a really good thing for them. But you also have to consider the bonding process. It can be as simple as love at first sight, or extremely difficult where they start out not liking each other, and it takes weeks to months to get them to bond. Then you get the failed bonds where the rabbits absolutely hate each other and will never like the other rabbit and be able to bond. So if this is something you are considering, I would suggest doing your research on bonding first, so that you are prepared for all it entails and the complexities you could face attempting it.

They can easily share one pen space together. As long as there is plenty of room to run around for one rabbit, adding in another doesn't really increase the size of the space you need. Except maybe if you had a small/medium bun and got a giant breed bun for your buns new companion, then you would probably need more space.

The internet is full of varying opinions on what's best. What's right for one situation may not be the best thing for another. Be informed, do your research, but in the end you are in the best position to decide what or what isn't right for your bun and you.

Thank you, she doesn't seem to be mopey or anything and is loves to run around and cuddle up to me so she's probably fine. I may try to see if she will bond with my moms rabbit after they've both been neutered/spayed (and time after he's been neutered don't worry) and if they get along I may take him in as my own because my mom isn't able to provide him the care I think he deserves and then he can be spoiled along with my bun as well.

Latest posts

Back