Do rabbits have periods

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pellzy91

Reaction score
Hi a stupid question but can female rabbits bleed I've noticed a few times that the sawdust has patches of what looks like dark orange reddish fliud patches which I thought was just the hat I bought but today I noticed my female has the fluid on her down below. I was told both my rabbits were done but I'm thinking the male is and she's not. I've attached a picture of her Amy advice on what it is or am I right in thinking she's having periods. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200526_191955.jpg
    IMG_20200526_191955.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 5
That's a relatively common color for rabbit urine depending on diet. She looks very fluffy and the color stands out really sharply on her fur, but I don't see anything that looks like blood. Rabbits don't get periods, but I can completely understand how it sort of looks that way.

Her diet never changes I keep them on the same food have done since I got them and had them almost 2 years now. Hmm I'll kepp an eye on her it's so strange. Thanks

Her diet never changes I keep them on the same food have done since I got them and had them almost 2 years now. Hmm I'll kepp an eye on her it's so strange. Thanks
I think dandelions and some fresh greens can cause the color... if your rabbits are getting more greens with spring being here that may account for the weird color!

I've never noticed it like that before I shook me a little aw well that's that sorted then will keep an eye on it see what happens thanks

What is their current daily diet? Normally a rabbit's diet changes when they become adults (6-7 months of age). --don't know if they were young when you got them.

The female rabbit is an induced ovulator. There is no regular estrous cycle, instead ovulation occurs after mating. If coitus does not occur, the doe will vary in receptivity as ovarian follicles regress and new follicles mature.May 15, 2014

Textbook of Rabbit Medicine, Frances Harcourt-Brown. Pg. 348. Pseudopregnancy.

Rabbits are reflex ovulators. Mating stimulates ovulation approx. 10 hours post-coitus. Ovulation can also be induced by mechanical stimulation fo the vagina or by the act of being mounted by another female, which can result in pseudopregnancy. Neutered or entire rabbits of either sex may mount each other to establish dominance or during periods of excitement.

Pseudopregnancy can also be the result of sexual arousal from the close proximity or scent of a male. Reflex ovulation takes place and results in the formation of corporalutea that secrete progesterone. Pseudopregnancy lasts for 16-18 days. The doe is not receptive to a buck during this time. At the end of the period, the doe may pull hair from her body and attempt to make a nest. She may become territorial and attack other rabbits or people that come near.

Although there are anecdotal reports of treating pseudopregnancy in rabbits with hormone preparations, in most circumstances treatment is unnecessary as the condition is self-limiting, Repeated false pregnancies can be prevented by neutering or separating females that are stimulating each other. It may be necessary to house entire males and females in separate locations in multi-rabbit establisments.

First publication of this textbook (for DVM degrees), 2002.

Latest posts

Back