Do pellets go bad?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jurisfiction

Reaction score
I’ve had Marlow about a month now, I think. He’d only been fed pellets, the Walmart brand, for all of his life till now. After a few weeks he’s started eating more Timothy hay- at first he barely touched it. And I give him assorted leafy greens and sometimes a small bite of banana at bed time. I’ve cut down the pellets to maybe a 1/4th a cup a day. But are they still good? It’s a huge huge bag and it’s been open for about 8 months.

If they haven't changed at all in texture or smell, if they don't look off in any way, ex for mold, then they should still be fine to consume. You SHOULD consider gradually swapping off of the walmart pellets as from what i've read, they're not the healthiest out there.

Pellets will lose nutrient content over time, so old pellets won't be as good as fresh ones. You usually don't want pellets that are older than 6 months past the milling date. Or for ones that are sealed in special bags to keep fresh, 6 months once opened or past the use by date. If you are in a humid environment, that can affect pellets as well. Depending on how humid and how the pellets are stored, they can possibly mold and that could be fatal if you were to feed to your rabbits once that occurs.

Latest posts

Back