Do older buns sleep more?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikethebunny

Reaction score
Spike is a little over 8 years old now, and I've noticed in the last month or so, he seems to be sleeping a lot more. He used to sleep all day and get active around 10pm. Now, he prefers to nap most of the time, even evenings. His pen is always open, but he rarely comes out anymore. I have been encouraging him to come out in the mornings as I get ready, so he at least gets some exercise. He still wants me around all the time, and loves to give me licks when I join him in his pen.

He still loves his hay, and when food comes, his energy is at full force. He is going to the bathroom like normal in his litter box. His weight hasn't changed and he doesn't seem to be moving with any sort of pain. He just likes to sleep a lot now. He flops a lot and sleeps all spread out on his side.

Is this normal for a bun his age? Is there anything else I should be doing to encourage him to exercise more or should I leave him be?

i would say so, my oldest is 6 years and she sleeps cllllllll the time, she even snores!

They do slow down. My 9 yr. old bun sleeps a lot more now. Some things to keep an eye out for is starting to have a hard time keeping on weight, increased thirst/urination, and stiffness/difficulty hopping. If you see any of these, it would be good to take your bun in for a check up.

I had to fatten up ol' Trix. She was too skinny, which is a normal problem for an eleven and 5/6 year old rabbit. She doesn't mind the extras, either!!!! She does sleep more, but she is still a spaz.

Latest posts

Back