Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte98

Reaction score
Hi, I've got two 11 week old mini lops, one boy and one girl. They live indoors with me and seem settled, flopping and binkying a lot. I try to pick them up once a day and sometimes they accept the cuddle and sometimes get fidgety and jump down but they also get quite jumpy and run away when I'm around even though I tend to sit on the floor with them all day as I work from home. They're really close to each other so I dont know if that makes them less affectionate towards me? Or whether they're just too young to not be scared? Am I picking them up too much? I have to lie down really slowly next to them so they dont run away but they havent thumped at all though. I don't know:(

Most rabbits simply don't like being picked up. Rabbits aren't the most cuddly animals, on average. Also, I'm very sure that, compared to other pets, they do know very well that we are not rabbits.
It sounds that your rabbits are perfectly normal adolescents.

There's one thing though - you either need to get him neutered right away (if you know a vet who does it that early) or seperate them soon, or you'll be wading in little bunnies in no time (that's not as cute as it sounds). The youngest age one of mine got pregnant was 14 weeks, but mine are rather big (10lbs grown up), smaller breeds mature earlier, normally males and females are seperated at 10- max.12 weeks.

A couple things can be going on. For one, they are reaching the age when hormones may kick in. That can affect rabbits differently. With some, it is barely noticeable. Others can have drastic changes suddenly or over a period of time. They can become more aloof, aggressive, forget potty habits, spray urine or even lunge and bite.

Another thing that can occur is that he can get her pregnant. They really should be separated until they can both be fixed or you could wind up with either a bunch of dead kits or a litter of rabbits that need homes.

As for bonding with them, sitting near them is a great thing to do. Forcing them to be held is not so great. They will come to resent it and it can stall bonding. Let them be around you without being forced to do anything. Let them approach. Let them sit on you. Just ignore them. Gradually just start petting them. Soon you will find they will "ask" for pettings. After they are comfortable with you petting them, that is the time you can begin to try to hold them. I only hold them enough so I can clip nails or check them over. No need to be doing so otherwise.

Latest posts

Back