Do I introduce a new companion?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkins

Reaction score
Our Lucy Lou passed away a few days ago and The Dude has literally been crying for 3 days. We're giving him loads of attention and have thought about adopting an older rescue rabbit as a new companion.
Has anybody had any experience introducing a new rabbit after a companion dies and if so, how long does one wait to introduce the new rabbit? I'm terribly worried about The Dude as he has a very broken heart.

We have had a very similar experience when Bambi's brother died. I would suggest waiting for a while (perhaps around 2 months), as in some cases you may be able to see that The Dude is okay without a partner as that was what happened in my case, however we did decide to get a partner for Bambi as we thought in the long run it would benefit her.

Many shelters in the UK have rabbits that could be around the age of your existing rabbit, and most of them have bonding services which means that you don't have to stress about bonding (in my case we adopted a rescue bun and the shelter did a bonding service for free and it worked out great!)

Hope all goes well <3

Need to give it at least a few weeks before attempting to bond them!

Sometimes they'll be happier with more autonomy; sometimes not; but you have to just observe your rabbit. Just like humans, they grieve differently and you have to be especially observant during this trying time.

I hope everything works out and thanks for showing your rabbit lots of love.

Latest posts

Back