Do different environment cause wax build up?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if the different environment between indoors and outdoors can cause wax build up?

I just wonder because Toste only got ear problem when he became an indoor bunny. He was previously always an outdoor bunny. Toste have never had wax build up in the ears but when he moved in it took only one month and he got problem with his right and when we was at the vet for the third time he was starting to get wax problem with the left ear.

Toste will have an operation for his ears to fix his smaller ear channels and flushing out the wax build up. I just think that he should had problem with the ears from the start and not 2 years later and also been noticed before by the vet. So I wonder if it might be something in enviroment causing his ears to easier build up wax. He had been early on noticed with smaller ear channels but had no problem with wax.

I know the air indoors is a lot drier air than the outdoor. Toste have no ear mites and have been responding positive with daily ear cleaning and metacam.

I think it would be merely coincidence. He got a bit older and things can change.

The reason I doubt it would be from indoors is more antecdotal. All of my rabbits over the years have been housed indoors. I've not had a single one that had any wax buildup in their ears. (I've lived with rabbits in a humid environment and now have lived in a very dry - desert - climate for almost 20 years.)

I think it would be merely coincidence. He got a bit older and things can change.

The reason I doubt it would be from indoors is more antecdotal. All of my rabbits over the years have been housed indoors. I've not had a single one that had any wax buildup in their ears. (I've lived with rabbits in a humid environment and now have lived in a very dry - desert - climate for almost 20 years.)

That’s might be true, maybe his wax changed when getting older and his small ear channels couldn't handle it ☺️

Latest posts

Back