Do different breeds live longer (or shorter) than others?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apautienus

Reaction score
I read somethings about holland lops only living 3-6 years.... But don't bunnies normally live about 10 years? Can anyone fill me in?

every breed has variances. Like dogs larger breeds of rabbits tend to have shorter lifespans than smaller breeds. Id say the average age is 5-8 years. Once past 8 years rabbits tend to start having health issues and problems. They can easily live to be in the teens

Where did you read about that life expectancy in Holland Lops?

I haven't seen a reliable breakdown of differences in lifespans. In general, I've hear of smaller breeds living longer than larger breeds, but I don't know whether that generalization reflects the entire community.

I raise Holland Lops, and have bred many does as old as 3-4 and bucks as old as 7-8 years. Those weren't unusual situations. I'd say general lifespan is closer to 8-10 years.

:yeahthat:

like they said. larger the breed, shorter the life span. i know for french lops the life expectancy is 5-7 years old. hollands can live over 10 years old.

Latest posts

Back