Do Bunnies need to go Outside

Discussion in 'General Rabbit Discussion' started by jess24rose, Mar 19, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Mar 19, 2019 #1

jess24rose

jess24rose

jess24rose

My bunny is an indoor rabbit (to me) and I thought it was unnecessary for them to need to go outside. But my dad girlfriend, Sally believes that she should go outside for fresh air and whenever she outside she looks really freaked out and doesn't act like herself. I need to know if she can just stay inside all the time

2. Mar 19, 2019 #2

Popsicles

Popsicles

Popsicles

She can stay inside all the time as long as she gets sunlight through windows etc. If she does go outside it would be best for her to have to option of coming back in herself, or at least bring her some home comforts (litter tray, hide etc) to make her feel less scared.

3. Mar 19, 2019 #3

Hermelin

Hermelin

Hermelin

She can stay inside all the time, some rabbits like it more outdoors while others never want to leave the indoors.

If taking her outdoor make her scared, use a pen with hide house instead. Which will make her more safe and many rabbits love getting to eat fresh grass.

4. Mar 19, 2019 #4

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

If she's super scared - even with a hidey house - then there's no reason to force it. If she does do better with a hidey house, there are still many cautions to take. This goes over things you may not have thought of.

Imbrium and TreasuredFriend like this.
  5. Mar 20, 2019 #5

Poopy Poo

Poopy Poo

Poopy Poo

I am planning on going to park too, especially with my lionhead rabbit he's very active I think he'll be happy with that. I have a pet carrier like for cats or small dogs and I thought it could work like his hide. I am not sure if I am allowed to bring a playpen to the public park?
    Also was wondering if I can take them to the beach I often cycle there when weather is good I love sea I understand that they shouldn't be near water but the smell and all I am not sure about sand maybe they should stay in the travel box then. Anybody has experience with that?

6. Mar 20, 2019 #6

Domino Rabbit

Domino Rabbit

Domino Rabbit

Many rabbit should be inside with plenty of light lots of attention. Out doors to much that can hurt or infect them. We may not be able to see mites, germs paraistes ticks etc but if they get onto or in the fur might be fatal by the time the rabbit behaves out of the ordinary or to late when us the rabbit mom or dad realizes danger has taken place.

TreasuredFriend and Blue eyes like this.
  7. Mar 20, 2019 #7

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

^^Yes! There are many dangers that are listed at the link I gave above. Remember, public parks are almost sure to have weed killer, fertilizer and pesticides on their grass. You don't want bunny eating that!!

Here is that link again:
    https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bringing-outside.html

TreasuredFriend likes this.
  8. Mar 20, 2019 #8

Poopy Poo

Poopy Poo

Poopy Poo

Well that's true they spray footpaths regularly so probably add fertilizer too. No park then.

TreasuredFriend likes this.
  9. Mar 20, 2019 #9

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Jenny Durling

Rabbits need direct sunlight. I did some research on this and light through windows won't cut it. Article: https://www.thedodo.com/indoor-rabbits-need-more-sunsh-504703908.html

If you have a way to get your rabbit into direct sunlight, say, open a sliding door or window and have sun shine on her through the screen, then you are good. I've been putting mine bunnies into a wire topped carrier/cage of hay and putting them in the sun for a minimum of 10 minutes daily as Rocky had been having dental issues. When it's nice outside, I let them run around in a clean chicken run so they get all of the light they need but I understand that most people don't have that option.

Poopy Poo likes this.
  10. Mar 20, 2019 #10

Poopy Poo

Poopy Poo

Poopy Poo

That's a good tip, thank you

11. Mar 21, 2019 #11

Orrin

Orrin

Orrin

I try to give my rabbits as rich and varied life as possible. This includes letting them out onto our lawn in good weather. They seem to enjoy it and show it by doing binkies out there now and then. It is hard to keep one of my does from being overweight, so I think the exercise and grass helps her.

I leave the buns alone during the day while it is their quiet time; then, let them go into their large outdoor pen when they start getting active. They are free to come and go as they please. When they are tired of the outdoors they can come back into the house. If frightened by anything, such as traffic noises, they can find security by running indoors to their home base.

My buns seem to love the chance to get out and explore.

Poopy Poo likes this.
  12. Mar 21, 2019 #12

TreasuredFriend

TreasuredFriend

TreasuredFriend

Our yard has all kinds of parasites and dangers to vulnerable pets. Other countries may not have the high amount of outdoor parasites and Predators.

Karla expelled ~ a 14-inch long tapeworm from ingesting grass. We saw the rice-colored segment expelled with blood in April. She had eaten grass in November in her wheelchair. No more grass with flea critters.

At the shelter outdoor buns came in frequently with small or engorged ticks, mites, fleas. Botfly larva! Google on botfly or cuterebra fly at medirabbit.com || We took in a bun from an area shelter - found abandoned in a park as a Baby - with botfly infestation. Several were extracted from her skin.

After rehabilitating eastern cottontails for several years, I was well aware of the parasites lurking waiting to hop onto a host.

Our kids stay in the house as our neighbors don't control their dogs and hawks are circling around in the sky frequently. Foxes, coyotes, too, are seen in the daylight. Raccoon feces carries roundworm. A gal's bun developed e.cuniculi after she routinely let her girl be in a backyard playpen nibbling.

Our bunnies live 10-13+ years and they go outside in a stroller for sunshine or sit in my laps for nail trims. They live long healthy lives basking in the sun thru the windows or screen door - Or sitting in my lap. Versus picking up outdoor parasites which shorten their lives, or require veterinary care. Thanks again for the link, Blue eyes.

Blue eyes likes this.
  13. Mar 21, 2019 #13

TreasuredFriend

TreasuredFriend

TreasuredFriend

Some humans walk their dogs on a leash, or Not on a leash. I would take the "fur kids" outside in a stroller and stroll the sidewalks. Kinda cute (or sad) the various comments that people said. Happy to see strollers are an option!

I've heard about the rabbits at agriculture fairground events that were on a leash and got scared by noises, and ran so fast to escape the threat they sustained neck injuries. i.e., Broke their necks in an attempt to flee the danger.

Also Rabbits Can Be Scared to Death, die of stress or anxiety, so you need to decide what you want him/her to be subjected to. : Young person is outside with bun in playpen enclosure, gets distracted, goes into house andthen the hawk overhead (that she did not see) has swooped down to snatch her small pet. Hungry Large owls will not hesitate to grab a vulnerable, defenseless being, unprotected.

I've walked up to a shelter entrance one time and the socializers were talking while not monitoring the Nethie Dwarf on the leash they held, and Nethie Dwarf was 97% wiggled out of the leash 'round his neck soon as I got near him. Gratefully harnesses for dogs or lg. breed rabbits allow control.

14. Mar 22, 2019 #14

K1marie

K1marie

K1marie

Lionel and Murphy Supporting Member

I would bring my bunny out in the nice weather on a harness or on the deck - but if it isn't nice enough for me to be outside without a coat and boots,(living in the North) I wouldn't think it okay for my bunny who is otherwise an indoor rabbit? What about one of those lights or a vitamin supplement? or is it not THAT critical? My Lionhead lived to 10 but had dental problems for a whole year before that. He made occasional visits outside 6 months of the year. Not sure if more sunlight could have avoided his last year of issues?

15. Mar 24, 2019 #15

K1marie

K1marie

K1marie

Lionel and Murphy Supporting Member

oops - I responded to and OLD post! I will look in the newer threads :)

16. Mar 25, 2019 #16

bhabydihmonds

bhabydihmonds

bhabydihmonds

Ive had Mr.PeterBear my flemish inside for 3 months now and he loves it

17. Mar 25, 2019 #17

jess24rose

jess24rose

jess24rose

I try to take her outside when I wouldn't mind sitting outside with her