DIY cage cleaner

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Button

Reaction score
Just wondering if it is safe to make a cage deodorizing spray. I am looking for a cheap reciepe... This is the video i found. I would use an orange citrus oil...
Is this safe

That looks safe. Most people here just use distilled white vinegar/water and it works perfectly. I don't think you would need the lavender unless you want it to smell like lavender.

There is some question as to whether the concentrated phenols from essential oils can accumulate in a rabbit's lungs over time. So while it is safe for a rabbit to eat the lavender plant, there are some who have reservations about allowing them to inhale the strong scent of lavender (or any) oils (including diffusers and candles).

In the video, he's adding several drops to a mix of white vinegar and water. I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to add some lavender but perhaps those with reservations are correct. In any case, as @Mariam+Theo said, the vinegar and water mix works just fine by itself.

Okay so vinegar and water is what is best? This will remove the poo and pee smell, supporting them to go in the litter? I see the nasty chemicals. I do not want to use those! I had read about it being an enzyme cleaner and I know enzymes can removed smells such that cats won't pee there, so I hoped it might work for bunnies as well.

Okay so vinegar and water is what is best? This will remove the poo and pee smell, supporting them to go in the litter? I see the nasty chemicals. I do not want to use those! I had read about it being an enzyme cleaner and I know enzymes can removed smells such that cats won't pee there, so I hoped it might work for bunnies as well.
In my understanding 5% white vinegar is enough for home use it will remove smell and disinfect and clean and dissolve urine stain, and it is not dangerous to your rabbits, although they won't like the smell and will shake their heads if you spray around them. Basically you don't need any other cleaner unless there's something really you need a really deep cleaning like after pandemic or something. I might be wrong so maybe our medical experts will add some comments to this thread I'd be keen to learn more about it.

Thank you!
I was wondering if I could use vinegar and baking soda, for any tough stained areas. I have noticed some discoloration from the...likely the mix of droppings and urine.

Thank you!
I was wondering if I could use vinegar and baking soda, for any tough stained areas. I have noticed some discoloration from the...likely the mix of droppings and urine.
I wouldn't use soda tbh just vinegar. If you leave vinegar for 5-10 mins it will remove stains. Or you can use fresh lemon juice just squeeze a few drops on hard stains and leave for a few mins and white will be white again. And will smell good too ;)

I was wondering what to use and I found white vinegar is good and safe rabbits don't like the smell still trying to litter train mine lol

Would apple cider vinegar be okay? Or is it best to use white vinegar? Just asking because I have a bunch of bulk organic ACV.

Latest posts

Back