Distressed Shelter Rabbit in New Home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avarocks

Reaction score
Forgive me, this post is going to be a novel...but I want to help this rabbit...and her new owner...any way I can. I have sent the link to her new mommy, I don't know if she'll join or not but either way I'd like to help her get information.

I volunteer at the animal shelter and just a few days ago, assisted a young lady with the adoption of one of the rabbits. She's not quite a year old yet but she's a full size girl. Sorry I don't know what kind of rabbit she is, just that she's all white with beautiful red eyes. Her name was Snowflake upon arrival at the shelter. She'll be renamed in her new home soon, but until she does, I will just call her Snowflake. Little is known about many shelter animals, as with her. She was surrendered by previous owners, who filled out the form for her but even that says little and a lot of it turned out to be seemingly incorrect, even though it was filled all the way out. For example they said she is 2 pounds, but she is at least four or five. She was only at the shelter a month before adoption, and she was the same size when she came in. They said she was litter trained too but in her new home, that is proving to be untrue.

At the shelter, myself and one other volunteer are the ones who socialize the small animals. While timid, Snowflake is otherwise a great girl. Very snuggly and affectionate. Rubbed her head on me, snuggled, soaked up head massages like you wouldn't believe - she even let me trim her nails with no struggle. When we used a play room she would willingly approach me, walk on my lap, everything and I accomplished this in just a couple of visits with her. She never showed even a hint of aggression. Then a young lady came in and she was interested in Snowflake, so I took her into a play room where she asked me questions and Snowflake hopped around happily. She was perfectly fine, allowed the lady to hug her, everything. She was so great! She jumped on both our laps, she really put on a good air for herself. I had to leave before the lady was done viewing her so I left both in the care of staff. Apparently things have drastically changed. When they tried to take Snowflake back out of her cage she lunged and tried to bite. Even shelter staff had a hard time and I've never heard of Snowflake doing this before. I need to note, this lady has other rabbits at home, she loves animals and she was so good to Snowflake. There was no cause at all for any alarm whatsoever.

Snowflake has been in her new home a few days now and is behaving very aggressively. I gave her new mommy all the usual tips but they aren't working. I realize it will take Snowflake time to run around but they cannot even touch her to confine her again because she will bite. She attacks anything new placed in her cage area, although I am told she's been moved around a bit...but she does it no matter where she is confined. I told her about getting on Snowflake's level but ignoring her and without any provoking, Snowflake lunges and bites. Part of Snowflake's paper work does state that grand children used to get her worked up in her cage. I don't know what this involved but obviously has had an effect on Snowflake. However, she is acting aggressive out of the cage too. Her new mommy and I are back and forth on facebook with me trying to help her. They cannot have her biting...there are children who will be around. Given what was written on that form and given Snowflake's obvious distress I told mom to be very cautious - if she's already this upset, kids just might put her over the top. She is going to tell the children to be very quiet and gentle and allow them just to talk to her and maybe give her food through the cage bars. There are other animals in the house but mum reports that Snowflake doesn't react. There's even other bunnies so mum does have experience with bunnies. Snowflake has her own condo now and is also taken outside to a pen to run around but has to be transported by carrier because she won't allow them to do anything else. I told her how it will take Snowflake awhile and that it is not uncommon. I gave her all the usual tips but no one can figure out where the aggression is coming from. I wish I could go to Snowflake somehow and hug her and tell her everything is going to be okay but I can't do that. She's adopted now and my role is over, aside from the help over the internet I am giving her new mommy, at her request. I said I'd help any way I can. It is the unprovoked lunging, biting, and aggression that is the biggest concern. Snowflake is not currently being allowed direct contact with the other animals in the house because mum is afraid of her biting them.

The only thing I can think of is that things are changing so fast for her that she doesn't know what to do with herself. How can her adoptive family help her best? I told her she obviously doesn't feel secure, at all, and she's acting out. It's so hard to say because I don't know what things were like before she got to the shelter, and she started this at the shelter before going home but she NEVER did that with me, or the other volunteer, even when I was new. Timid, and a little hyper in my arms at first, but she warmed up very fast, and willingly approached to be picked up. I'm not suggesting getting her to be willing to be held, but how can they help her with her obvious stress and aggression? How can they help her get to a point they can easily get her back into her cage and get her to her outside pen without anyone getting injured? She was so good at the shelter, so I know she's got it in her somewhere it's a matter of how to reach her and help her through it at last so she's not biting and lunging for no reason.

The other thing mum tells me is that she is eating out of her hand and will accept the odd pat on the head in cage - eating out of your hand is a sign of trust, so I know the bunny knows in her head somewhere that she can do this. I realize this isn't my bunny (mine's a whole other story...lol) but I want to help this bunny as much as I can. She has a very patient adoptive mommy who just wants her to be happy and they're willing to work with her, so any input would be great! I've told mum the link to here and if she signs up, where she could find a post about her situation in case she wants to, so we may well see a post from her ourselves, I don't know but she knows where you are :) In the mean time...help...please :) myself, a sweet bunny, and the new mommy would all appreciate it very much.

Sarah

First of all, are there currently children around the bunny? I'm wondering if she can hear the children and that makes her nervous.

Secondly, is she in a place where she can hear and / or smell the other rabbits in the home?

Personally, I would give Snowflake an OPEN cage with an XPen around it so she has some extra space. I'd probably mostly ignore her for a few days - perhaps be in the room with her so she can watch the person - and maybe even make the XPen big enough for the person to sit in and read while pretending to ignore the bunny.

I'd probably also try to put a treat in the cage at bedtime (at the back of the cage if possible) and then use one particular phrase (like maybe "Good night Snowflake") and lock her in the cage when she goes in for the treat.....in other words - try to get her used to the idea that "I go to bed at night but I get a treat at bedtime".

That's all I can think of - I don't work with rescue animals really - but I'm trying to think about how to help her.

Is she spayed?
I'm reminded of our bunn Sophie.
She was an angel at the shelter, and hell on wheels when we got her home! :D

It usually takes a few days in a new home for a bunn to really get its feet under it...
and it sounds like she is getting ready to take on the world now! :biggrin:

We adopt bunns...especially ones that are "aggressive".
Spay or neuter is the first thing done!

If the kids liked to rile her up the lunging and biting could be a learned behavior especially in relation to her cage and her "stuff".
Rabbits will "go with what they know"...ifbiting and lungingworked to get rid of the kids in the first home...she will use it in the new home to get her way as well.

The best waywe have found to deal with this is to nip the behavior in the bud!
If the lady is nervous about being bitten...she can put on a pair of thick gloves...
When Snowflake tries to lunge or bite...you push her head down, gently but firmly and hold it for a few seconds while saying "NO" loudly.
Rabbits will hold another rabbits head down to show dominance.
The lady would have to be consistant and stick with it.
Once bun realizes the lunging and biting doesn't work...it should taper off.

But if the bunn isn't spayed yet...I'd look into that!
The "re-training" should be started immediately though.

Some of ourkids came from horrible backgrounds, were abused and were aggressive...
(We tend to adopt "aggressive" bunns first because no one else seems to want to adopt them!)
Tucker peeled the pad of my finger off and ate part!:grumpy:
I've gotten bitten to the bone a couple times.
They are now all (somewhat) well behaved members of our family! :D
You just need to teach them that the behavior they used in the past to get rid of things they didn't like...is no longer going to work.
It takes patience!
Bunns with attitudehave the absolute best personalities!
Under all the sass is an amazing bunn just waiting to be found!:)

:yeahthat: We had a few "monsters" that just took time before we could forgo the use of gloves--hate that whole bitten and bleeding thing too. Sometimes it takes awhile for them to settle down after a major change as bunnies are such "creatures of habit".

Thank you for your replies. I have linked mum to them but she hasn't responded yet if she's seen it or not. If she can't I'll copy the text to her - but thank you so much!

Yeah...it took Kinobe months to become sweet. But he still lunges/bites/grunts/chases other people sometimes. I cannot pen or cage him to this day, and he is treat aggressive. It can take a lot of work, but its worth it.

I would not increase space until you can trust the bunny. I would leave her confined a week or two let her get used to the home, the people, the sounds etc.

Hi everyone! My name is Melyssa. I'm Snowflake's new mom. Thank you all so much for the help, especially Sarah!!! You guys are great!

I am the only one that lives here so she does not hear anyone else. My fiance works up north and he was just home for the weekend and we also picked up the kids for the weekend. He has 3 but we just had his 9 yr old twins here. I asked them to be quiet and move slowly around her so she wouldn't get frightened. I also asked them not to try to pet her. Snowflake accepted treats from them with no problems at all. I got called down to the cage at one point to be told that he was petting her through the cage, even though I asked him not to. He is one of those kids that has no fear of anything. He kept asking me to let her out and saying she was good with him, etc. So even though he stuck his fingers in and I asked him not to it was a good thing because she allowed him to pet her.

The first time I saw her aggressive was when the other woman at the shelter was taking her out of the cage. She was lunging at her. I tried as well and she lunged at me. This was after spending a lot of time with her already and she was fine, cuddly and everything. Once she was in the room again she was fine and I was able to cuddle with her again.

She has only bit me twice and it was within the first 2 days. The first time was right away when she got here and I was offering her food. She bit my finger but not hard, no marks left. She attacked the bowl of food I was offering and knocked it right out of my hand. I first had her in an exercise pen in my bathrm. I kept it open so she had full run of the bathrm and I would sit in with her and just leave her be but spend quiet time with her. At one point she was laying behind the toilet and I just layed on the floor, not real close to her. But when I stood up, I then bent over and was picking up poop and she came out from behind the toilet and bit my leg. To me it seemed for no reason. I was about 4 feet away from her. She didn't break the skin but I have a bruise. Is that a good sign that she's not biting so hard that she's breaking the skin?

I am a little nervous around her, but still try to pet her. I can pet her head through the cage. I just moved her to the exercise pen again and tried to pet her with my arm inside the cage and she just hopped away. She jumps around and looks to me like she's happy. She's also rubbing her chin on everything like she was doing to Sarah and I at the shelter. She's eating and drinking, and curious. My dog and cat can go up to her cage and she'll sniff them. She doesn't seem to be afraid except when she hears a loud noise, she'll jump to the back of her cage. Now everyone else is gone and it's very quiet again.

I built her a condo and it took her 4 days to jump up to the 2nd level but she didn't stay there long. I put bamboo placemats on the floors so she doesn't have to walk on the wire but she pulls them off all the time, like she doesn't want them there. She has lunged at the jug from which I pour the pellets into the bowl for her. She did that the firt time but hasn't done it again. After she bit my leg I used a broom to shoo her back into the pen and she attacked that. I felt so bad but she was loose in the bathrm and I needed to be able to go in there. I have a large bathrm btw. I have been reaching into her cage in the past couple of days and she allows me to pick up her bowl, fill it and put it back. So that is really good too. The other thing she attacked was the bamboo mat after she pulled it off the 2nd floor I tried to pick it up and put it back. She didn't like that. I'll have to cover the floors with something she can't pull off I guess.

Thank you all again sooooooooooooooo much! I love this little girl and I know we'll eventually get to the point where I can cuddle her and pick her up like I did at the shelter :) I am full of patience and love for her.

Oh, and she's not spayed so I'm going to wait a little bit to let her feel comfortable here then I'll take her to be spayed.

I hope I can get to the point where I can let her out of the cage and roam around with the other animals. I can let my 2 dwarf rabbits, dog and cat all loose together and they get along. My cat plays with the bunnies. They are so cute and so happy.

The faster she is spayed the better, the longer the behavior the harder to break. Also I have seen a few rabbits deal better with kids than adults, at times men, sometimes women. It is finding what works best. All I foster now is the last chance bunnies. So far have not lost one.

She did great yesterday! She's been letting me put my hands in her cage to put things in and take out. She has not lunged at all. She even hopped out onto my lap. I wasn't thinking of letting her roam around but after she did that I thought I'd give it a try. She hopped around and explored everywher. She'd hop over to me once in a while and put her from paws on me. She's rubbing her head on everything and seems happy. Next step will be to pick her up. I used the exercise pen to get her back into her cage and it worked well. I just waited until she moved closer and I'd close it in little by little. She's so cute!

Latest posts

Back