Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoe Franchino

Reaction score
Recently, my bunny has started charging at my hand to bite when I clean his cage. Surely it’s territorial, but I still don’t like the behavior. He’s free roam, and he’s fine when he’s outside the cage. I’ve had him since March and he just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. I tell him no and tap him on the head, but I’m sure that’s not the right method. Help?

neutering would always help as bonding would too. have you tried bonding methods with him to get him to trust you?

I noticed my rabbit do this occaasionally. I'm new here so bare with me but I've found these worked for me.

-Not messing with their cage litter or accessories whilst they are in the cage. Strangely enough I've noticed it helps approaching from above (going to pat the head) rather than lingering a hand about their space.
-Not encouraging the behaviour. If I notice my bunny do this I actually find that she sometimes needs some space or a deescalation of tension. i.e no tapping or touching or leaving the hand in the cage to see what it is that's really annoying her (I have been guilty of that one).
-Too much sugar. This'll sound mental but I've noticed the more pellets my bunny gets the worse she'll behave. Mine's better behaved with hay and fresh greens for dinner.
-Stress. I've noticed my rabbit hates brooms... random I know. But if I use a dustpan and broom around her she'll charge it and be nasty for the rest of the day.

And finally desexing...

hope this helped :)

Your rabbit's cage is his private space and he may not like your hands in his house. Wait until he exits his cage before you stick your hands in there, as mentioned by gb1913. And have him neutered, if he isn't already. It sounds like he's getting hormonal.

Latest posts

Back