Dill's Sick Too :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
I thought it was a gas attack, but I've been up with him all night, he's not coming out of it. He's also covered in pee -- he's peed where he's been lying --although from what I can tell, there's no blood in his urine. But thepeeing is inodd spots.

If it's not gas, maybe a UTI or a stone? It came on suddenly... he ate his pellets and a couple hours later -- before he got his veggies (the usual gas cultprit) -- he just folded.

He'slying stretched out, shaking, glassy-eyed and I'm not hearing the normal gassy gut sounds. He's not fighting the tummy massages, but he seems to be more sensitive to the touch if his quivering is an indication.

I"ll give him another hour or two (only because I'm too tired to make the vet trip right now), but if there's no improvement, we're going in whether I can see straight or not.

Chippy and Dill can trade best wishes. :(

sas :(

Dill was definitely having another one of hisgas attacks, he finally came out of it after a double dose of Simethicone.

I think thedosage of Simethicone I've been using is too low -- I traditionally give him about.75cc's of the babystuff every hour -- he's about 3 lbs--but I think I'll switch to an adult dose,or at least double the baby dose from here on in.

I tend to recommend the baby version because it's a pleasant tasting (to some bunnies) liquid, but I think I'm going to try the adult kind.I remember somebody I respected on Etherbun recommendingthat for larger bunnies. Now I just have to figure out the dose.

Anyway, I desperately need a nap. (Dill's chewing on a carrot top). :)

sas

So glad he's coming out of it! Whenever I've used it, I would just give two droppers full to make sure I got enough in them. With Pebbles it's not too much of an issue, but when Pepsi would have her gas attacks, she would sit with her mouth clenched. So probably a dropper full of it got on her, not in her.

Come on Dill, keep improving!

I never heard of a gas attack being that severe....you're lucky it was a gas attack because it sure sounded terrible. Hope you're OK Pipp.
I give fairly big doses of simethicone because I heard it is basicallyharmless to the rabbit. (hope thats true)

Dill snaps out of it quickly once he does.

This time it was 12 hours or so of pure torture -- on me as well as him!

He looked like he was in so much pain.:bigtears:

At first I have to admit Igave him his Simethicone and a five minute tummy rub instead of an hour -- and didn'tcheck backfor anhour -- it's becoming old hat. Buthe was stillbad.

Then another dose... a much longer tummy rub... and checking backand he was worse.He was cold, covered in pee and shaking like a leaf. He wouldn't even sniff a piece of banana. :shock:

The rest of the night/morning was in Dill warmth/massage mode. Usually it takes three or four hours.

When I made the original post I gave him I think a fourth double dose (which I don't usually do) of gas meds.When I went to check on him after making thepost, he was fine. :? Hopping around, munching on carrot tops like he didn't have a care in the world.

Sheesh! Maybe he was just waiting for me to post. Orcall the vet. (I had tomake sure they were open).

I remember his first gas attack, I had him in his carrier ready to get to the ER vet at5 AM (I was that desperate), and I really didn't thinkhe was going to last until I got there.He was limp, ice cold, lethargic, and his eyes were dull and fading. I had the phone in my hand, calling a cab, looking for my shoes... I went to pick up the carrier to take it onto the porch... and he was sitting there bright-eyed, munching on the hay I put in there, looking at me like... "Hey, what's up! Cool digs!"

:shock2:

What a bunny!

sas,baby dill :bunnyheartand the warren(s)

(PS: I think I'll put this in my Blog)

Latest posts

Back