Dill: the most awesome bunny on the planet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
Pipp is my bonded mate. We're like an old married couple, I love her so much.

But Dill was my passion -- like atorrid affair on the side. I felt guilty, but as much as I loved (and still love) Pipp, Dill was my heart bunny. He was incredibly special in ways too hard to put into words.

You had to be there.

I don't know anybody who knows me and the upwards of 20bunnies who have lived here -- from every single roommate to Georgethe homeless schizophrenic -- who didn't notice how specialDill was. (George found him so special, he took off with him). He was everybody's favourite. He even won over the neighbourhoodbunny haters.

He was anything but sweet and cuddly -- he'd nip you if you didn't behave. He'd explode when held. He didn't understand why humans wore clothes and would try and dig or pull them off of you. He was the most opinionated bunny ever. Nobunny gave youthe bunny flick-off like Dill. But through all this he was unflaggingly cheerful.

And appreciative. He never forgot his roots. He was a house bunny before I knew him, but his guardian abandoned him -- which I find absolutely stunning. He spend a year or two years in a tiny, rustybare wire cage in a dark, unheated shed with no hay, no toys, not even a food dish to throw around -- just a metal feeding tray and a water bottle.

When he came to my place, he was in seventh heaven, and he never took anything for granted. He never grew tired of thelong nose rubs -- I had planned on gettingmy new room mate to help me get a good video of the look of utter ecstasy on his face. Again, it's hard to describe. You had to be there. It's gutwrenching I didn't get the chance.

I was so jealous when Sherry bonded with him. I didn't like her much, but she came into her own with Dill's guidance. He wasn't her mate as much as she was his 'pet rabbit'. We always thought Dill was a midget ina bunny suit.

I didn't take thesuit off of him last night, though.

Dill would ALWAYS come when he was called, right away. If you called Sherry, he'd pay no mind -- unless he thought hecould grab something from her mouth-- so it wasn't the tone he responded to, it was the words. Others in building thought I was over-reacting when I panicked after calling him once or twice and not getting a response. "He's either sick or lost, trust me," Isaid. I found him deep in his 'I don't feel well' spot.

He never took pain and illness well. He'd look like he was dying when he had a gas attack. (He was an adventurous bunny, he'd eat things he shouldn't have). I think he willed himself to die when the pain or dizziness in his head that caused his oh-so-slight tilt lasted more than a few hours. I asked him to hang on, but no. he always made up his own mind.

I had envisioned his death many times in my head, probablypreparing for my worst nightmare. He looked like I thought he would when the end was close. I declined the offer to view his body. I had seen it too many times in my head. I wanted to remember him more full of life than any living creature I had ever known.

I loved my baby Dill.

I'm going to miss him so very very much.

sas :sad:

HappyDill.jpg

100_21401.jpg

100_21351.jpg

Oh Sas. I am so so very sorry you lost your Dill baby. I couldn't help but start crying while reading your post. He was a special little guy, and it was obvious that he knew it. Those are beautiful pictures you have of him. I especially like the first one where Dill has his greens poking out of his mouth.

Binkie free, Dill buddy. You will know now how much you are loved.:rainbow::pink iris:

Oh No, I cant believe this. Im so so sorry, sas. :bigtears:

Dill was always one of my favorite bunnies right from the start. A lot of my desire to be more involved with rescue came from seeing those pictures of him in those nasty wire cages and then seeing him smiling in later pictures when he was brought to you. He knew how lucky he was.

He was truly a special bunny. My favorite memories of him were the binkying in the box and another video you shared where he kept trying to eat your pants. He was such a character and I know (and Im sure he knew) how much you loved him.

I know its so sudden and heartbreaking, but I truly believe he's in a better place. I think he and Pernod are probably up there causing some major ruckus right about now.

Youre in my prayers, Sas. Words cant describe how sorry I am. Im here if you need a friend.

Rest in Peace, sweet Dill. You will be so missed :bunnyangel:

I'm so sorry Sas... I don't know what to say, and if I did it wouldn't be able to help you, but Dill was such a beautiful, special bunny. I didn't know his story until now, and I'm sure he knew how lucky he was to be saved and live such a happy life with you.

So much loss on here recently, it just doesn't seem right :(....

I love the picture of him with hay sticking out of his mouth- gives him so much character...

Binky free little Dill, we will miss you...

:pink iris::rainbow::pink iris:

Jen xx

Rest in peace, Dill. You will certainly be missed. :rainbow::pink iris:

This is quite possibly my favorite picture on the entire forum. I think it sums up everything that you just wrote:

HappyDill.jpg

I know sometimes words cannot describe how people feel but what you said about your baby was so unbeleivbly moving it bought tears to my eyes - it was obivous you loved him so very much.

I won't say LOVED I will say LOVE he is watching down on you from the RainBow bridge he understands how much he meant to you and realises how much you mean to him.

Best wishes - we are all here for you always :hug:

Sometimes we are lucky enough that special animals come into our lives and they touch us like none other before. These animals sometimes have such a strong presence that you swear there is something human about them. That they understand and somehow speak to you, even if no one else understands. They become another part of you that time, distance and death can be truly gone.

[align=center]
heart.gif

We choose them sometimes they choose us and other times they are given to us.

We bring them home and suddenly learn there is so much more.

We love them and care for them.

We feed them and play with them.

We watch them grow and marvel at the change.

We laugh and enjoy there every move.

We sometimes get annoyed at some of what they do, than they look at us and it is all ok.

We do our best to keep them safe and it is not enough.

We sometimes make the choice for how there life ends and sometimes they choose it.

We love them will all our hearts in the end they know this and that is best of all. They go to the bridge loved when so many others have never known love. They go knowing some day we will see them again and their hearts as well as ours will be whole.

angelsko.jpg
[/align]

Oh, I'm so sorry Pipp. Binky free, darling boy! I stayed up until about 4:30 my time to keep an eye on your Infirmary thread and just felt sick over Dill.:bigtears: I'm so sorry, Pipp... I understand how you feel... When Tallulah died, my reaction was so intense that my boyfriend was freaked out and he later said he was worried that I love the bunnies more than him because he didn't know someone could love something as much as I loved her. I'm sorry the pet hospital wasn't able to recognize how bad off he was :X:X My vet told me Tallulah was doing better and sent her home, even though she was very, very clearly doing a lot worse. You did the absolute best you could for him though, don't regret taking him to the ER because you were just trying to make him better. Were you with him when he passed? Sorry for talking about my own problems so much here.

I know there's not anything that anyone can say to lessen the pain, but just let me know if there's anything I can do.

Also, those pictures of him are wonderful! That first one is so cute, he is most definitely smiling. Dill was such a special boy, now Pernod and Tallulah and Mr Smores and Lilly are playing with him in heaven, along with all the other little buns.

Losing your "heart" bunny in less than 24 hrs is big time pain!!
I am so very sorry about this Pipp
If there is anything any of us can do to help you in any way shape or form please know that everyone loves you

and our hearts are with you:bigtears:

Bo's twin.... at least in personality.... I'm just sick. I can't believe he's gone, Sas...

That picture at the top.... it's always been my favorite. I see it in my head sometimes when I see a cute little bunny eating a green....

He always looked like he was smiling with his eyes.... he was such a happy boy.

I'm so sorry, Sas. I can't imagine how heart-wrenching this must be for you.

Latest posts

Back