Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sk8tercereal

Reaction score
So, I have two female bunnies. One is a total angel the other one has a very strong attitude. Lately I have noticed that the trouble maker of the two has started digging through the litter box and creating a complete mess. Before I got the two I did a bunch of research and because of that I know that it is from boredom. I switched out some toys and she did not seem to care and kept digging. Any ideas of how to get her to stop digging in the litter box? I just need more ideas on how to keep her entertained so she does not make a mess constantly.

A few options to help contain any potential litter box mess...
1650845540337.jpeg

1650845556093.png

Remember that digging is a natural rabbit behavior. You could consider providing a "digbox" specifically so she can relieve herself of those digging urges (without doing so in the litter box). This can be any old box with various "digging" items (shredded paper, hay, cardboard scraps...).

View attachment 60342

View attachment 60343

Remember that digging is a natural rabbit behavior. You could consider providing a "digbox" specifically so she can relieve herself of those digging urges (without doing so in the litter box). This can be any old box with various "digging" items (shredded paper, hay, cardboard scraps...).
Thank you so much! I was actually thinking about a digging box I was just worried that my bun would prefer the litterbox instead so that picture you left would be perfect!

As Blue Eyes said, digging is a natural rabbit behavior. It is instinctive. One of our six rabbits seems to be more driven by instinct than all the others. Even though she was spayed she went through a false pregnancy and spent days building an elaborate nest. When it was finished she stayed in it for more days. (Eventually, she abandoned it.)

She is also the natural-born digger. She, as are all our buns, is a house rabbit; but, we give them time outdoors. Besides grazing on their pasture, our digger lady makes holes. :) We feel fortunate that we have a place where she can answer her urges without hurting anythingFlopsy_Digs_1393.jpg.

As Blue Eyes said, digging is a natural rabbit behavior. It is instinctive. One of our six rabbits seems to be more driven by instinct than all the others. Even though she was spayed she went through a false pregnancy and spent days building an elaborate nest. When it was finished she stayed in it for more days. (Eventually, she abandoned it.)

She is also the natural-born digger. She, as are all our buns, is a house rabbit; but, we give them time outdoors. Besides grazing on their pasture, our digger lady makes holes. :) We feel fortunate that we have a place where she can answer her urges without hurting anythingView attachment 60370.
Yeah I take my bunnies outside nearly everyday for a few hours unless its bad weather while I work on my laptop out there and the digging thing stresses me out just because my parents just put new grass in. It's like when it comes to outside I just need to find a designated area where they can dig without me Being stressed about it since one of my buns has such strong urges to do it. Before I got them I never really thought about the digging urges so when I looked it up I was like oh man okay I gotta figure that one out!

View attachment 60342

View attachment 60343

I made a little digging box today, I haven't bought a litterbox like the one you posted but I don't even think I need to now my bun LOVES her digging box which makes me super happy!

Latest posts

Back