Digging in the litter box...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfinner1

Reaction score
Today, I learned (the hard way) that Salvataggio is a digger. When I got him, he was using this shredded cardboard stuff in his litter box. I left it, one less change for him to deal with, until today, because I was dumping boxes and cleaning cages. I use the pelleted horse stall litter (don't remember then name). Xenos has never dug in his litter box. He likes to dig in the dirt when he's outside, and sometimes digs cardboard or carpet. Salvataggio is apparently a different story... As soon as I put his box back in his cage, he hopped over, sniffed it, and proceeded to throw all of the litter out of the box... Great... So now I don't know what to do. I don't mind if he digs, in fact, I've been planning on making them a "dig spot", just hadn't gotten around to it yet. But it's going to be a little hard to keep his cage clean if he keeps throwing his litter everywhere... What should I do??

First off, I love your pic!:D

You could take a cardboard box to fit his litterbox, cut around to size, so he can get in, but keep the sides all higher and place the litterbox in the box. That could help some. I know what a pain it is, my first rabbit did that, but he mostly tossed the darn litter box w/ his teeth, which I have a fix for.;):p

Is he neutered?

Not neutered yet. He'll be going in to the vet's in about 2 weeks, thankfully... His poop marking is also driving me nuts... I've already fallen in love with him (only had him for a week) but today he's been driving me nuts! :X

Ok, well, not yet neutered offers many answers.;) The digging being the main. He'll calm down a few weeks after being neutered. Big time. In the mean time, take some random poops and place in the litterbox, he'll start to get the idea. Marking will continue until he's neutered, though, unfortunately. Then, you'll be amazed how well they do w/ the litterbox!;)
Plus, he's in a new environment, so that takes them a bit to get used to as well. He sounds like a very sweet bunner.:D

Time for a screen on the litter box! My girl loves to dig at the litter too. She never digs in general, but the litter box is just too much fun to pass up.

You can order screens online or make your own out of hardware cloth (can be found in the garden section of the hardware store)

elrohwen wrote:
Time for a screen on the litter box! My girl loves to dig at the litter too. She never digs in general, but the litter box is just too much fun to pass up.

You can order screens online or make your own out of hardware cloth (can be found in the garden section of the hardware store)
You can also try getting a screen at a hobby shop or at Walmart in the craft area.;)

Latest posts

Back