Digging carpet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmilyJayneHarlow

Reaction score
Is there any way i can stop my rabbit from scratching/digging my carpet, he never used to do it but the past couple of months hes been digging near my door and ripped all my carpet up, I've put a couple of tiles were he does it and he just carries on scratching next to it, he has card board boxes and a small digging box but still goes for the carpet, I'm getting lino put down in my bedroom soon so i don't want him to ruin that!

I’m gonna be blunt. Rabbits dig, it’s in their genetics, if you don’t like what your pet does then maybe you shouldn’t have one. My rabbit digs all the time and even tho it has pretty much ruined our house, we don’t mind because we love her and that’s what bunnies do.

Obviously they dig, i'm not stupid, was only asking for suggestions, not sarcy comments! he digs up all my garden, that doesn't bother me, He never used to dig the carpets, asking for suggestions doesn't mean i don't love him. Maybe I don't want expensive carpets and flooring ruined, theirs no problem with that, theirs plenty of people who don't want their rabbits digging there carpets and that doesn't mean we shouldn't have pets! This is a page for support, not a page for telling people what they shouldn't have. You might not mind your house being ruined but others want a nice house!

My rabbit used to do that but not anymore. I trained her basically. I was rewarding her if she let’s say played with her toys only. I would always say no if she was digging and it has helped.

Is there any way i can stop my rabbit from scratching/digging my carpet, he never used to do it but the past couple of months hes been digging near my door and ripped all my carpet up, I've put a couple of tiles were he does it and he just carries on scratching next to it, he has card board boxes and a small digging box but still goes for the carpet, I'm getting lino put down in my bedroom soon so i don't want him to ruin that!

Is your rabbit neutered? Just wondering if hormones could be a factor for this change.
If it's in front of a door, I suspect he's trying to get to the other side. If you get lino, there's nothing he can do to cause damage -- not unless he can access the edge. But baseboards typically are put on the edges.
In the meantime, getting more (or larger) tiles or blocking him from that area is your only sure solution.

why not place linoleum over the carpet? Mine used to do the same-there is a current under the door which your rabbit is digging for.

Alternatively you could place another rug, that way the actual carpet wont get damaged, but unfortunately wont stop the behaviour.

You could also look into getting a dig box- this is obviously a behviour your rabbit wants to express , so giving them a constructive outlet can be hugely beneficial

Is your rabbit neutered? Just wondering if hormones could be a factor for this change.
If it's in front of a door, I suspect he's trying to get to the other side. If you get lino, there's nothing he can do to cause damage -- not unless he can access the edge. But baseboards typically are put on the edges.
In the meantime, getting more (or larger) tiles or blocking him from that area is your only sure solution.

Yeah he is neutered, He wants to get back downstairs but because its night time, he comes upstairs, he didn't used to do it, but just going to try and get some more tiles in the meantime

We use a variety of methods to keep the buns away from the carpets--which have been chewed in plenty of places; we're stopping the spread of the damage.

I've cut a portion of the bottom out of cardboard boxes, along with a part of the side, producing an "L" shaped section that we put over the damaged spot. The buns will move it, so it needs to be weighted down; we use pieces of iron, but a brick or rock will do.

We also put sacrificial throw rugs in the doorways where the buns like to dig. Again, they need to be held in place.

another method that works very well for us is to lay down thin boards over the spots where buns like to dig. We happened to have some scrap poplar that I sliced into 1/4"-thick boards about 6-inches wide. I crazy-cut their shapes to conform to door jams, etc. Generally, they lay in place on their own accord. The bonus is this: they give the buns something to chew on.

Some places we use the 14" square panels (NIC?) to barricade the carpet.

For us, it takes a variety of methods to get the job done. The buns have left the carpets alone for many months, now.

I put a sheet of vinyl over my area rug to keep my buns from destroying it. It's kind of annoying but it protects my rug. I agree with you: I love my bunnies but I love my house too and I won't allow them to ruin it.

https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-behavior/how-to-deal-with-chewing-digging/

We have a couple different digger-focused companions in our home. Chaperoning their activities when they want to begin digging was a help. With gentle instruction not to do so.

Orrin, hubby has done the same as you!! There are certain intriguing spots our digger/chewers go to. Thin plywood strips put in place work well, a pc. of furniture, a brick, or non-movable items in the most appealing areas buns want to remodel with their behavior. Soon as they go back to their fave spot, I check their toenails, & stomp my foot.

He digs up all my garden. ... Curious if other bun parents in the UK have buns outdoors digging in the garden, and are faced with the same concerns when your bun is prevented from doing what he's used to; i.e. digging up dirt outdoors?

I have 3 house rabbits allowed outside in good weather. They absolutely love to tear up the garden, but they actually dig less inside when given the opportunity to get that urge out of their system in the place for it. I dont think carpet can compare to dirt

Latest posts

Back