Digging box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiraeth.21

Reaction score
My two buns have been digging at everything, so I decided to set up a digging box. I've got a cat litter tray and some newspaper pellets that are sold as litter. I don't have a big enough box yet but I'm going to find a box on Monday to put the litter tray into. So far, they don't seem to care that the digging box is even there. Is there something I should be doing to let them know they can play in it?

Hm, patience.

My rabbits don't dig all year round, they have a fit and dig up a truckload in 2 months, then they totally cease those activities for months.

You can try to dig in there with your hand when they can see it, for several minutes, in my experience that behaviour is contagious, it might work to set an example. At least worth that ten minutes to try it, I would say.

Hm, patience.

My rabbits don't dig all year round, they have a fit and dig up a truckload in 2 months, then they totally cease those activities for months.

You can try to dig in there with your hand when they can see it, for several minutes, in my experience that behaviour is contagious, it might work to set an example. At least worth that ten minutes to try it, I would say.
Thanks, I'll give it a try later. Hopefully they'll copy me, they've been scratching at my carpet everyday.

Thanks, I'll give it a try later. Hopefully they'll copy me, they've been scratching at my carpet everyday.
Are they scratching everywhere or only at a certain location? Maybe you can move the box over to it?

It might be they don't like the pellets. You ciuld try something else like carefresh bedding or shreaded newspaper.

For my rabbits dig box I use a high sided cardboard box with an entrance and exit hole cut in. High enough to keep stuff in the box, but low enough my buns can jump in. Then I line the bottom with several layers of newspaper, topped with some sheets of newspaper ripped and crumpled up to get my buns started. They like to get in there and start shredding and digging up the rest of the newspaper. They do pee in there sometimes, so when it gets too dirty in there I just toss the whole thing out and make a new one.

Are they scratching everywhere or only at a certain location? Maybe you can move the box over to it?
Everywhere, but mostly the carpet. It was a cheap carpet but I feel bad watching them try to dig at something pointless.

It might be they don't like the pellets. You ciuld try something else like carefresh bedding or shreaded newspaper.

For my rabbits dig box I use a high sided cardboard box with an entrance and exit hole cut in. High enough to keep stuff in the box, but low enough my buns can jump in. Then I line the bottom with several layers of newspaper, topped with some sheets of newspaper ripped and crumpled up to get my buns started. They like to get in there and start shredding and digging up the rest of the newspaper. They do pee in there sometimes, so when it gets too dirty in there I just toss the whole thing out and make a new one.
So far they like the pellets, for pooping in, even though it's not what I use for the litter pans. I don't get newspapers but I'll try the carefresh, thank you.

Latest posts

Back