Digging Box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhoosh

Reaction score
My bunny loves to dig! Except, since she livesin my room she only gets to "dig" at the tile floor and she'll do italmost all the time she's playing. I swear she's got the leanestshoulders I've ever felt ;) In about a week we'll be moving and myother room is all carpet! I know she would love a digging box and I'veseen some members that have set up flower pots and boxes with soil orsand. But having a box full of sand that she will dig out and scatteronto carpet?? Is there a way I can set something up that will besomewhat manageable? Especially because in August, we'll move again toanother carpeted room and I'm afraid she'll want to dig like she's usedto, and dig up the carpet - in a No Pets apartment!! I hope a diggingbox will let her dig in an approved place, but again I don't want toturn my bedroom into a sandbox >.<

What about putting a smaller box of sand insideone of those large plastic rubbermaid bins. Cut a hole in therubbermaid just big enough for her to squeeze through. Place thesand-filled box all the way in the back of the rubbermaid- with a gapbetween the sand box and the opening into the plastic box. Put a rugdown in this gap to collect any fallen sand before it can get flung outinto your room. If you keep the lid on the rubbermaid, I wouldn't thinkmuch sand would escape.

That was a setup I used when I had chinchillas, and their dust fromtheir dust baths (which are required for a healthy chinchilla) wouldget EVERYWHERE. Even into the next room over. The box in a box setuphelped a lot.

That sounds like an excellent idea! Thanks! :D

When I used to have gerbils, I gave them chinchilla dust baths. I lovehow the dust feels! Except it's not required for gerbils, so it wasmore of a take them into the bathroom and let them roll in it everyonce in a while thing.

I'm definitely going to give that a try though. I might even see if Ican't put a flap over the opening too. I'm excited now, I want to buildit right away!

My buns love their paper digging box:

December2006001.jpg

Snuggy has to take a break after 30 minutes of non-stop digging!

I just put old catalogs and magazinesin there(after removing the staples) and they shred them up.

Aww what a cute picture! My bunny loves chewingon newspapers and magazines too, unfortunately she EATS it all, and Idon't want her ingesting too much of it. Why does she have to be socomplicated?....

The rubbermaid tub idea is great - that'sexactly what we are going to do with our box. It's a HUGEdisaster, but the big tub around the little tub would do thetrick! It's the next thing I am going to try anyway...

Latest posts

Back