Digging Box Suggestions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnygreen

Reaction score
Hi! I just adopted my bun, Dr. Cheese, last Saturday and he is already such a blessing to have! I have noticed quickly that he seems to enjoy lots of chewing and digging behaviors when he is bored and I was thinking of attempting a digging box of some sort for him.

Does anyone know of a good one that is available for purchase?

I know there are ways to make it yourself which I am also open to, but I am happy to buy it since I am admittedly lazy. However if the purchased ones aren't sufficient I will go the extra mile!

Thanks for any suggestions! Any other tips for providing enrichment for chewing/digging is also appreciated! (I already have tons of toys, a mat under his playpen in case he gets the desire to chew to prevent carpet damage, allow free roam when I am around to exert his energy, etc.

Thanks again!

I don't know that anyone sells one, at least not that I've ever seen. They're pretty easy to make though. Use a high sided cardboard box, appropriately sized depending on how big your bun is. You just want it to have high enough sides to contain any mess. I use bankers boxes because I have tiny bunnies. I cut an entrance hole(sometimes an exit hole too) as high up on the box as I can, but low enough so that it's still accessible for the buns to hop in easily enough. Then I line the bottom with several layers of newspaper for them to dig into and rip up. Then I rip up and crumple several sheets of newspaper to provide a digging layer and get them started.

Now they do tend to pee in there at times, which being cardboard and paper I just throw out, either just the soiled newspaper or sometimes the whole box when needed. Then I just make a new one. The cardboard box can be substituted with a plastic bin. The newspaper can be substituted with shredded paper. But I've found shredded paper too dusty and it gets tracked everywhere, so I stick with crumpled newspaper.

Latest posts

Back