digestive ileus

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elenaw

Reaction score
Hello
We adopted a Belier mini lop about a week ago and we noticed that he was hardly eating and had a bit of diarrea. Yesterday we took him to the vets and they diagnosed him with digestive ileus, an infection in their stomach, which block their intestines. The vet gave him 3 injections, a pain killer, antibiotics and some vitamins. Also we have to give him primperan to get his intestines moving and an antibiotic twice a day.
Has anyone else had this problem before with their rabbit? And do you all think he will be okay?
Today I noticedhe was pooping more and eating a bit more
Thanks!

GI stasis is commonly asked about here on RO. Eating and pooping is a great sign of recovery!!

To avoid it in the future and to help prevent the need to go to the vets, it's good to get familiar with the warning signs and potential causes.

Stress alone can be enough to initiate GI stasis. Moving to a new home and getting adjusted to that new home can itself be enough to start the issue. Another common cause is too rich of a diet or the sudden introduction of an unfamiliar food, green or veggie. Not enough hay is another cause.

At the very first sign of a rabbit refusing to eat something that he usually eats (whether pellets or hay or a familiar green), that is the time to be on alert. If he is sitting in a football hunch along with this (or pushing his tummy to the ground) then that is usually confirmation that his tummy is upset. At the first sign of this, immediately offer him some simethicone (baby gas drops). They are safe for rabbits.
1-2cc per hour for 3 hours, then 1cc every 3-8 hours as needed
This alone is often enough to get him back to normal and prevent the need to go to the vets.

In the meantime, it's good to review his normal daily diet. It may need some tweaking. His age and approximate weight will determine a general guideline for an appropriate diet. But each individual bun may have unique sensitivities that require further adjustments.

Could you provide that info? (weight, age, daily diet)

GI stasis is commonly asked about here on RO. Eating and pooping is a great sign of recovery!!

To avoid it in the future and to help prevent the need to go to the vets, it's good to get familiar with the warning signs and potential causes.

Stress alone can be enough to initiate GI stasis. Moving to a new home and getting adjusted to that new home can itself be enough to start the issue. Another common cause is too rich of a diet or the sudden introduction of an unfamiliar food, green or veggie. Not enough hay is another cause.

At the very first sign of a rabbit refusing to eat something that he usually eats (whether pellets or hay or a familiar green), that is the time to be on alert. If he is sitting in a football hunch along with this (or pushing his tummy to the ground) then that is usually confirmation that his tummy is upset. At the first sign of this, immediately offer him some simethicone (baby gas drops). They are safe for rabbits.
1-2cc per hour for 3 hours, then 1cc every 3-8 hours as needed
This alone is often enough to get him back to normal and prevent the need to go to the vets.

In the meantime, it's good to review his normal daily diet. It may need some tweaking. His age and approximate weight will determine a general guideline for an appropriate diet. But each individual bun may have unique sensitivities that require further adjustments.

Could you provide that info? (weight, age, daily diet)

Hello
Yes they gave us the medications I said above, he has been on medication for two days now, but I stillthink his tummy hurts since he moves around but not a lot. He poops and eats a bit more but not like he should Idont think. At the moment he is on just a few pellets and hay. He weighs 480 grams and is 2 months old. The problem with the gas drops is I live in Spain and I have tried looking for them online with no luck, any ideas?
I dont know wether to take him to the vets or what to do , is this life threatening?
Plus I dont know what is normal behaviour is like since he has been like this since day one, he just seems a very quiet bunny.
Thanks!

It is also strange, he doesnt eat much hay or pellets, but if I offer him some brocoli or something greeen he grabs it, with real hunger. But I know we cant give him any of that since it make the situation worse.

If he is eating and pooping he is hopefully on the way to recovery. Ideally you get him to eat lots of hay. Try different types of hay until you find a few types he likes. Normally they are on painkiller (as well as gut stimulants) for a few days too. Aero Red is the Spanish equivalent of Infacol (simethicone) but I think it comes in tablets rather than liquid. You would have to crush 1/4 to 1/3 of a tablet (equivalent of 1ml. Infacol) unless he is willing to eat it. You can give him a tiny amount (just a few sprigs) of fresh herbs e.g. dill, parsley, coriander,... Just give one new thing at a time and wait two weeks before you introduce another. Hope he gets better soon.

How long can it take them to recover? since he has been like this for a week now. But only on treatment two days.
Thanks

It can take a while, a couple of weeks sometimes, but I am concerned he only got treatment for 2 days. Our vets give medication, including painkiller, to be given for several days and at least until a couple of days after everything is back to normal. Are you able to find rabbit vets in Spain? Did the vet check his teeth with an otoscope? It may have been caused by the stress of the move but dental problems are a common cause too. As long as he is making progress, maybe the best thing to do for now is to keep stress to a minimum, encourage lots of hay eating and not take him back to the vet, only do that if he gets worse.

Thank you. He gave me treatment for 3 days then to ring him. The problem is there are no vets that specialize in rabbits, but he said he had treated a quite a few of them. He checked his teeth, he said they were okay he is only a baby. maybe the stress of moving to my home a week ago. He has eaten a bit more hay today, but not sure how much he is supposed to eat since he is a baby, he seems a bit more active, but still hunches up sometimes and is quiet. I hope he is going to be okay.
Any more suggestions?

Thank you. He gave me treatment for 3 days then to ring him. The problem is there are no vets that specialize in rabbits, but he said he had treated a quite a few of them. He checked his teeth, he said they were okay he is only a baby. maybe the stress of moving to my home a week ago. He has eaten a bit more hay today, but not sure how much he is supposed to eat since he is a baby, he seems a bit more active, but still hunches up sometimes and is quiet. I hope he is going to be okay.
Any more suggestions?
Sounds like it's going OK. He needs to eat a pile of hay at least his size. Try to stay calm (easier said than done, I know) as they pick up on our anxiety. Make sure he has plenty of space and a couple of hiding places with at least two exits. Don't pick him up, just sit or lie near him and let him come to you when he wants.

He is eating maybe half his size. The thing is he is very friendly he comes to us, he lets me stroke him, goes to sleep. I dont know if this is because he isnt feeling 100 percent himself or if he is just a calm rabbit.
I do worry though! Thank you so much I will keep you uppdated

It's perfectly normal for them to sleep a lot during the day. Generally they are more active early in the morning and late in the evening. Of course you worry, that's the normal state of affairs if you're a bunny mum :)

Latest posts

Back