Digestive/Diet issue?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm very new to being a bunny mum and to these forums so I'll try and keep it short and simple. I had a slight scare with Bruno; my 10-week old Frenchie 2 days ago. In the evening, he started to pant and press his belly to the floor, his whole behavior changed. At first, I thought he was maybe too hot (he spends the day inside the house with me, and at night he stays in an ex-pen in my pantry), so I put him in the pantry and sat with him.

I could then start to hear his belly popping and gurgling, he looked very uncomfortable and I could tell he was struggling with gas. I sat with him outside the pen for a few hours keeping an eye on him, he was still foraging and eating/drinking which was good, he was hopping about a little but would go back to pressing his belly on the floor or laying out flat. During the few hours passing by, no poops. I then started to worry, his belly felt very swollen and so I began thinking the worst and contemplating GI Stasis. Throughout the night I was checking upon him, he was eating his hay, drinking, and mobile, but no poops.

The second day (yesterday) I woke up to a few poops (hooray!) but around 50% smaller than his usual, and darker. Throughout the day yesterday, he barely pooped. I noticed a formed cecotrope in his litter box, and then a few singular/broken cecotropes stuck to his fur and dotted around the litter box. But he seemed a lot brighter in himself. Still eating and drinking so I was a little happier.

Today I woke up to lots of poops and a happier bun! but still very dark, some smaller than others, some hard and some looked a bit softer.

I just wonder if anyone thinks this is gas, or something else?

I also wonder if this is diet-related? I've had Bruno for around 2 weeks now, he's on 1/4 cup of his previous pellets mixed with the Burges Excel junior rabbit pellets. He's eating alfalfa mixed with meadow hay, and has leafy greens twice a day (normally celeriac, pak choi, leaf lettuce, and parsley). I've tried my hardest to introduce greens in moderation but maybe I have introduced him to greens too quickly? Has anyone experienced anything similar, or have any clarification on this? its scared the life out of me, and it would be handy to know if its something I'm doing, or if theres anything I can do to alleviate his problems?

Thanks in advance guys,

Nicole & Bruno

Welcome! That is really scary!
I think he should have been swapped over to the new pellets by now, and not have still been getting a mix between the old and the new ones. I doubt you have been introducing greens to quickly because when I first got my rabbit I only knew what an adult should be eating so I fed my 2-month-old what an adult rabbit would eat. I never introduced greens slowly, and I never fed him Alfalfa hay, but he was fine and has been healthy.
It does sound like this was gas, and maybe GI stasis. If he hadn't of been eating you would have had to take him to the vet. I'm glad he is better now, and I hope he stays better.

Thanks, Theo, it was a scare!
I'll definitely swap him over shortly then. He's still currently happy and hoppy and eating, his poops are lightening in colour. I will keep an eye on him, and yes I was waiting for him to stop eating or drinking before I took him to the vet but he didn't which makes me think more gas. Im just glad I read up on some signs and symptoms so I knew the difference in his behaviours!

Your bun is lovely!

Best wishes

Glad to hear he's doing better. It could very well have been too many greens at one time. Each rabbit reacts differently to greens. Theo's example is one possible outcome. Other rabbits will have immediate problems from eating their first leaf of lettuce. Just depends on the individual rabbit.

You mentioned 4 different kinds of greens-- in just 2 weeks time? That's a huge variety for introductions. The ideal way to introduce greens is one type at a time. The reason for this is that any green has the potential to cause a reaction. So, for example, a half of leaf of lettuce can be offered one day. If bunny eats it and there is no change in poos, he can have a whole leaf the next day. So long as his poos remain normal, this process continues with that same type of lettuce for about a week. By then, you'll know he tolerates that kind of lettuce. Check one.

Then you can try a different green, say cilantro. Same process is repeated all over again, always checking for a change in poos. If his poos change, then you'll know that the cilantro was the cause and not the lettuce. This is the purpose for introducing one type at a time.

I'd suspect that either one of the greens you are feeding (or simply the sudden intro of too many) caused the tummy issue. I'd begin again with one type at a time to eliminate any possible culprits. As a side note, parsley is high in oxolates and should not therefore be a daily offering. Celery should be cut in 1" slices so the strings don't tangle in their gut.

I'd also suggest being sure you have baby gas drops (simethicone) on hand. Whenever your rabbit begins to show signs of GI issues, you can offer simethicone right away. It is perfectly safe and can quickly prevent the issue from escalating.

Thank you Blue eyes,

Lots of really helpful advice there! I didn't know that about parsley despite me researching it!!
I will begin again with greens and take it slower and steadier this time. I will also invest in some simethicone, I've seen this being mentioned over this forum and I think it will be very handy just in case for next time.

Best wishes,

Nicole & Bruno

Latest posts

Back