Difficulty administering meds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L I Z

Reaction score
Since my rabbit began taking oral supplements for GI stasis, I've looked up countless videos on how to administer syringes. I try to wrap her in a towel, comfort her in the crook of my arm, gently place my fingers under her chin, and pump the liquid in through the side of her mouth. However, absolutely NOTHING seems to be working. Whenever I try to administer the syringe, she flips out. She bites, kicks, squirms, and clamps her mouth shut. I feel terrible because it is such a traumatic experience. Any advice?

A few tips on this page:
Medicating a rabbit (administering meds)

You do need to be gentle so they don't injure themselves, but you also have to be firm or you'll never get the meds administered. I use the C hold on the head/back of the neck, rabbit on my lap with me on the ground, they may back up against my stomach, get the syringe in the side and squirt the meds in. Burrito wrapping may make this easier, just has to be done correctly.

Rabbit in towel (burrito wrapping a rabbit)

Though if in doubt about what to do, it's always best to phone your vet to ask for advice.

Last edited:
I have to get my husband to help. :/ But at least it works.
I usually have my bunny in my lap similar to what was mentioned in the link above. My bunny takes daily medicines but sometimes she gets really sassy and doesn’t want to take them. Be patient. Sometimes I talk to her while I’m giving the medicine and that helps.

also try giving just a little liquid from the syringe at a time. Eventually you will get it all in them. If you’re bunny is anything like my sassy girl, then sometimes they may store it in there mouth and refuse to swallow at once/flick or drain it out of their mouth🙃. What I will do is put the syringe at the tip of her mouth just in enough so that she bites it a bit, this usually gets her to swallow the small amount I had just given, then repeat the process. Try to get in as much as they will be willing to take.

I’ve found that most bunnies hate critical care food that they get to help with GI stasis. So give a little at a time. Sometimes adding a tiny bit of plain apple juice can help the flavor. Some Vets carry more than one brand of critical care food. Maybe ask your Vet if they carry another type. Your bunny may tolerate it better.

hope these tips are helpful. I hope your bunny recovers!

I usually have my bunny in my lap similar to what was mentioned in the link above. My bunny takes daily medicines but sometimes she gets really sassy and doesn’t want to take them. Be patient. Sometimes I talk to her while I’m giving the medicine and that helps.

also try giving just a little liquid from the syringe at a time. Eventually you will get it all in them. If you’re bunny is anything like my sassy girl, then sometimes they may store it in there mouth and refuse to swallow at once/flick or drain it out of their mouth🙃. What I will do is put the syringe at the tip of her mouth just in enough so that she bites it a bit, this usually gets her to swallow the small amount I had just given, then repeat the process. Try to get in as much as they will be willing to take.

I’ve found that most bunnies hate critical care food that they get to help with GI stasis. So give a little at a time. Sometimes adding a tiny bit of plain apple juice can help the flavor. Some Vets carry more than one brand of critical care food. Maybe ask your Vet if they carry another type. Your bunny may tolerate it better.

hope these tips are helpful. I hope your bunny recovers!
Oh he takes it. He just doesn't like me holding him. He doesn't mind my husband doing it, thus why I get him to help. He holds him and I administer the medication. Fortunately, I only got one week left to go on his med. It's not critical care, it's his antibiotics for his sneezing.

Last edited:
Plan B if putting the medicine on a little damp pellets and oatmeal doesn't work or for force feeding is this:

I put blankets into a pile on my bed, with a little cave half the size of the rabbit. Then I put the rabbits back half in there, facing me, while keeping my hand on it's head. That way it can't go back or forward. Kneeing beside the bed I have a good view of what I'm doing, have one hand on the head to control it, to keep it down and cover the eyes, and one hand free for the syringe. It's just important to not give any leeway for struggling.

Always give a treat afterwards.

For me that works way better than trying to hold the rabbit, and I'm not good at making 10lbs Bunny Burritos.

Hi hope you and your bun are well,

I just recently spayed neutered my bunnies and had to administer oral medication. I would dip the end of the syringe in banana for my rabbits when they had oral medication after surgery. I have one very bold girl however that would not take any medication she would dodge, evade and would not open her mouth at all and the blanket burrito was no luck. I don’t have another person to help keep her clam so I ended up putting the medication in a small piece of apple there were no problems and she never knew the difference. I have more than one bun too so I would distract the others with their daily salad and serve my bold bunny separately so none of the others tried to steal her medicated apple piece. I fed the apple to her and kept it in the palm of my hand and some what cupped it around her face (just so it didn’t fall) this way I knew she had taken all of the medication inside and she was very happy to boot 😁 hopefully this and the other posts are helpful to you. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back