Difficult Decision

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaGal

Reaction score
As some of you know I have an intact Flemish Giant Buck. Recently I took in two intact I believe does. My neighbor no longer wanted them and asked if we wanted them or he would release them outside so we took them in so they would avoid that fate.

When we took them in we did so with the thought that we would find a home for them. After having them in the home I have grown attached and thought we would keep them but I am not sure that keeping them is the best for them or my family.

This is not a decision I take lightly. To me having pets is a complete responsibility. I know that they are dependent on their owners for everything and they deserve the utmost care because they have no choice in any matter. It is not easy for me to find homes for any animal no matter the way they came to be with us. I would keep them all if I could but also know that there comes a point when there are just too many time wise and financially and that it would not be in the best interest of the animal.

I feel the buns have not had the best start to life in cramped, unclean conditions with little human interaction no real activity or mental stimulation. This makes me want the best for them even more.

I have limited time to offer these buns and I'm not sure that is fair to them or if it would be better for them to remain here rather than risk them going to a home where things could be so much worse. Although, if I do decide to rehome them I will do my best to ensure that the home they go to is an appropriate home for rabbits.

I do not know that financially it is possible to keep them. I don't really have the room to seperate the buns so the girls are in a different room from the male. There are some problems with this. Thumper has started to spray. Something he has never done even when a teenager. Poop marking is not so big of a deal but the spraying is. Also, I am afraid of risking a pregnancy. I don't know how to deal with this other than to have buns spayed/neutered.

I have only let the new buns out of cage once due to them needing to be litter trained but now that they are I am afraid the spraying will get worse. I think they do need the time out though. They do have plenty of room in their cage but I know they need more stimulation. They are slowly but surely chewing the coroplast bottom to their cage. I can place cardboard in a particular area and they will chew that instead but when they do it makes an absolute racket and unfortunately they do it while we are trying to sleep and it keeps us up or wakes us up.

They have plenty of different items in the cage to chew but they will only chew the coroplast or the cardboard placed in one area.

I am sorry this is so long. I am just hoping for some feed back on the situation. I do not want to be selfish in either keeping them or finding them a home. I am also hoping that maybe someone out there with multiple buns could help with some suggestion.

Your buck is reacting totally normal for an intact male. My boy rocky never sprayed in his life but the minute he lived around a female he started spraying. With him being intact that cannot guarantee he will stop spraying if the females are spayed. They might not have that strong female smell but there is still a scent to them. To him it's still a female and some boys are more sensitive. It might decrease over time but I wouldn't count on this. Even neutering your buck might not help

Well that is interesting that even neutering may not stop it. Funny it took him some time after they were here. Also seems odd that so far he has only sprayed at night. I expect that may change as well.

Denise, I totally understand, pooping is acceptable but spraying is gross. Houdini used to spray all the time before I neutered him but at times now, he still sprays at Snowy and it is a nuisance but just something that´s probably not going to go away. And Thumper is so much bigger than him so I can´t imagine what it´s like. And yes, you could neuter/spay them all but the spraying could continue afterwards.

Whatever you decide, we will all support you; you give so much to your animals and these two have been so lucky to have spent time with you and I know you´ll find the best home you can for them. Mine also like chewing cardboard but luckily they´re in the living room and I can´t hear them in the bedroom so I´m lucky.

You have to do whatever is best for you and your family and for them so whatever you decide, we´ll be behind you.

Chris...thank you. I really appreciate your kind words. I know if Thump only sprayed occasionally it wouldn't be so bad. Everyday is too much and yesterday it was twice. I'm still trying to figure something out.

Latest posts

Back