Difficult Bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demi87

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Netherland Dwarf male of nearly 3years old (neutered).
I keep him free around the house since I’ve taken him home. About a month ago a friend of mine was giving away three baby dwarf rabbits so I’ve decided to get him a female companion (she is now around 4months old).
Unfortunately he doesn’t seem to like her :( ...After keeping them separate for a couple of weeks (by an indoor pet gate), I’ve decided to introduce the two, I did so in a neutral space (ish, because as I said before the old rabbit goes free for the house so I’ve chosen the room where he goes less) but nothing, he doesn’t seem to like her.
He bid her and she bid him back ...moreover, now sometimes they fight (or to better saying: they try to fight) through the gate but luckily they can’t reach to each other.
Please anyone have any idea of what I should do? I’ve spoken with the vet but she seems to be more confused than me
My concern is that because my male lived alone for nearly three years now she doesn’t like to have another rabbit in the house ☹️
Hope anyone of you can help me!
Many Thanks in advance.
Demi

Your female is full on hormonal and needs to be spayed before any bonding attempts can be made. Once she's healed from surgery, only then can they be introduced. Ultimately it is up to the individual rabbits as to whether or not they will get along.

Don't worry too much at this point because it isn't likely that any rabbit would get along with a hormonal female. Just keep them apart (put a space between any divider so they can't even sniff each other). If they show aggression even with the barrier in place, then you'll need to put them in separate areas so they can't see or smell each other.

In the meantime, start establishing a future neutral space for bonding. Keep both rabbits out of that space and wipe it down with white vinegar and re-arrange items in it -- whatever you can to make it as unfamiliar to your male as possible. Neutral space is oh-so critical with some bondings. "Neutral-ish" just won't work.

That your male has been single for awhile doesn't really matter. Most rabbits will bond with the right rabbit. Some rabbits are far more choosy than others. It won't be until she's spayed and you're able to begin the bonding process that you'll discover whether or not these two will bond.

On a side note, you may want to consider finding a more rabbit savvy vet. Maybe you can check the vet reference section here on RO. That your vet was confused on the basics of bonding is disconcerting.

This is just my opinion: I would allow a lot more time for them to bond (like 2 more months at least) and when the time comes, introduce them in a place together that is neutral (new to both) space that had lots of fun/yummy distractions.

Also litter box swapping between the 2 of them could help them get used to each other's smells more during that time...or swapping their entire individual cages between each other might be a good idea.

I personally wouldn't give up this quick. If after doing all this however for 3 months straight and still no progress then I would also make the decision to get her spayed once I had saved the money for it.

I only say this because where I'm from, spaying is really expensive (not to mention a long drive away) and I personally can understand why someone wouldn't want to rush into spending that much money and the added stress of possibly losing the female rabbit to the spaying.

Always do what you believe is right for YOU and YOUR BUNS though whether you decide to spay right away or not, you are the bunny momma and know them best. :) I hope everything works out and they can be happy and get along together great in the near future![emoji195] [emoji173] [emoji195]

Thanks to both of you guys. Really appreciate your help!!:)

I’ve separated them using a pet gate with a very small gaps, so they can smell each other but they can’t fight/byte, and also every night I swap over they litter tray.

I’ll wait at least two more month before to try to introduce them again. I will do this in the utility room where nobody of them have ever been yet.
But also before doing that I will have her spayed.
Just hope for the best
Demi

You can hold off on swapping litter trays until after she is spayed. Doing so now will not serve any purpose because she (and her urine) will smell completely different once she returns from the vets. You'll just be doing that extra work for no benefit. Even being near each other now (with gate divider) won't be any benefit (won't hurt either). It won't be until after she returns from the vet with her new odors, that these tactics may help.

Latest posts

Back