Different type of hay for your rabbit/guinea pig

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surrpaws

Reaction score
Your rabbit/guinea pig should consist mainly of hay. I am sure alot of new rabbit/guinea pig owner would be confused as to what kind of hay to buy for your rabbit or how to store hay. We have compiled a list to clear the confusion.

Type of hay

Timothy – Most commonly fed to adult rabbit/guinea pig

Meadow Hay – Can be mix with timothy hay for a range of flavour

Orchard Grass – Can be mix with timothy hay for a range of flavour

Alfalfa – Due to it high nutrition value, it is to be fed to young rabbit or underweight rabbit only

Oat/Wheat/Barley – Can be fed to rabbit to provide roughage which reduces the danger of hairballs and other blockages

Type of cut

First Cutting – More roughage

Second Cutting – Larger percentage of leaves to stems, has a finer and softer stem

Third Cutting – Typically very soft hay that is primarily leaves with very few small stems

How much to feed your rabbit/guinea pig?

Birth to 3 weeks–

• mother’s milk
3 to 7 weeks–

• mother’s milk, alfalfa hay and pellets
7 weeks to 7 months–

• unlimited pellets, unlimited alfalfa hay
7 months to 1 year–

• introduce timothy hay, grass hay, oat hay, and other hays; decrease alfalfa
1 year to 5 years–

• Unlimited timothy, grass hay, oat hay
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup pellets per 6 lbs. body weight
Over 6 year–

• Adult diet for rabbit with normal weight
  • Alfalfa hay for underweight rabbit
How to store hay

• Best stored at room temperature or cooler in a dry location out of sunlight
  • Container that is not air tight works well.(Your hay needs to breathe, as it naturally has a moisture content that will cause growth of mould)
  • Do not store your hay in sealed plastic bags.

Source http://www.surrpaws.com/type-of-hay/

Why should young rabbits have unlimited pellets when growing up, if my rabbit had it. He would rather eat the pellets and wouldn’t learn to eat hay.

I’m just wondering, my rabbit never got unlimited because he rather eat pellets than hay and the breeder told me to give him unlimited pellets until he was 6 months.

I think it is case by case basis. Not all rabbit with unlimited pellet when growing up won't learn to eat hay. If your rabbit have that issue, you should not give unlimited pellet:)

The feeding recommendations listed above completely omit greens/veggies. After hay, greens should be the next item offered daily. A rabbit of average size should get from 2-4 cups of greens daily.

I would add that for youngsters, if you’re feeding alfalfa pellets then giving alfalfa hay is too much. You can give them timothy hay instead.

Plenty of rabbits do fine without green/veggies but if you’re going to give them then yes to the above.

Your care sheet ignores the fact that being too rich isn't the main problem with alfalfa. The problem is that it contains over 3 times more calcium than timothy hay and rabbits don't need it. They have trouble absorbing it and you are exposing your rabbits to urinary problems and bladder stones by giving it. I never gave it to any of my rabbits, not even as babies. Oats isn't something I would give either, except to underweigh rabbits or really rabbits living outside during the winter. Rabbits tend to gain weight easily, they generally don't need any help with that and the fat will easily weight on their fragile joints so you should really try to give a nutrition with as little calories as possible (especially considering rabbits eat all day). Those two things should only be given to sick / underweight bunnies or bunnies who wouldn't eat hay otherwise.
I agree with Blue eyes : your nutrition advice omits vegetables, which have to be given daily and are the second most important thing in the rabbit's diet. 1/2 cup of pellets is a LOT. Pellets are generally given in tbsp more than in cups... My rabbits get only timothy, sometimes Crau hay as a treat. No fruits nor sugary treats, less than 10g of (really healthy and light) pellets a day, and vegetables with mostly leafy greens. And my vet comments on the fact that Aki is too plump everytime he sees her (they are free-ranged too so they get plenty of exercice ^^'). She's almost 9 now so I'm certainly not putting her on a diet for 150g and I don't think having a bit of a reserve is bad when you get old but it's just to say... most rabbits really don't need the extra calories.

Latest posts

Back