Differences in hay: Specifically for ISC

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnygreen

Reaction score
Hello!

I've been directed by my vet to switch Dr. Cheese's diet to an all hay diet to help his intermittent soft cecotropes. I figured I would see if there are any recommendations on a better hay for rabbits struggling with this as well as having sensitive digestion in general. Currently he is given Oxbow Western Timothy Hay, and I was not sure if there were better types of hay for rabbits with more sensitive digestive systems as my previous rabbit never struggled with this and was always fed the timothy hay. I appreciate any recommendations!!

Thanks!

Usually any good quality grass hay is going to be fine. I would avoid grain hays like oat hay, because the carbs from the oat seed heads can cause problems for some sensitive rabbits. Also third cut grass hays can sometimes cause issues because they can be a very rich hay and not have enough indigestible fiber in them.

With your rabbit, likely possibilities for the sensitivity are that he was born with a genetic sensitivity, or that he acquired one due to other health complications. Intestinal parasites could still be a possible cause, and liver issues. So if the hay diet doesn't clear it up, treating for worms might be the next thing to consider. Then a blood test to check liver function. Though there is the possibility that this may not be cured and just managed with diet as much as possible.

I had two megacolon rabbits with extremely sensitive digestive tracts, and for this it wasn't curable but was managed as much as possible with diet. One was born with it, the other I believe acquired it after a severe bout with stasis or possibly due to coccidiosis. Both rabbits had to be on a very strict hay and limited greens diet to minimize their digestive issues and keep them as healthy as possible. And this did work for the most part, to keep their poop looking as normal as possible, for a megacolon bun.

The common food that always caused problems for them was anything with too much sugars and carbs. So they couldn't have pellets, fruit, carrots, etc. The one rabbit born with megacolon also had to have a very specific cut of hay or he would develop moist log shaped fecal poop. He needed a grass hay that wasn't too soft and was a mix of leaf and stalky stems. The hard stems are what provide a higher amount of indigestible fiber, which is what helped improve his digestive function and kept his poop looking more normal, and the leafy bits are what have the nutrients. So you need a mix of both for rabbits that are on a no pellet diet.

That's what I would suggest focusing on. Not the variety of grass hay, but the maturity of the cut. Too coarse of a hay and your rabbit won't be getting enough nutrients from the hay and will start losing weight. Too leafy of a hay and there won't be enough indigestible fiber to help improve gastric motility. So you want a good medium coarse hay with a mix of leaf and stem, with a fairly good green color and not sun bleached(inside the bale).

Usually any good quality grass hay is going to be fine. I would avoid grain hays like oat hay, because the carbs from the oat seed heads can cause problems for some sensitive rabbits. Also third cut grass hays can sometimes cause issues because they can be a very rich hay and not have enough indigestible fiber in them.

With your rabbit, likely possibilities for the sensitivity are that he was born with a genetic sensitivity, or that he acquired one due to other health complications. Intestinal parasites could still be a possible cause, and liver issues. So if the hay diet doesn't clear it up, treating for worms might be the next thing to consider. Then a blood test to check liver function. Though there is the possibility that this may not be cured and just managed with diet as much as possible.

I had two megacolon rabbits with extremely sensitive digestive tracts, and for this it wasn't curable but was managed as much as possible with diet. One was born with it, the other I believe acquired it after a severe bout with stasis or possibly due to coccidiosis. Both rabbits had to be on a very strict hay and limited greens diet to minimize their digestive issues and keep them as healthy as possible. And this did work for the most part, to keep their poop looking as normal as possible, for a megacolon bun.

The common food that always caused problems for them was anything with too much sugars and carbs. So they couldn't have pellets, fruit, carrots, etc. The one rabbit born with megacolon also had to have a very specific cut of hay or he would develop moist log shaped fecal poop. He needed a grass hay that wasn't too soft and was a mix of leaf and stalky stems. The hard stems are what provide a higher amount of indigestible fiber, which is what helped improve his digestive function and kept his poop looking more normal, and the leafy bits are what have the nutrients. So you need a mix of both for rabbits that are on a no pellet diet.

That's what I would suggest focusing on. Not the variety of grass hay, but the maturity of the cut. Too coarse of a hay and your rabbit won't be getting enough nutrients from the hay and will start losing weight. Too leafy of a hay and there won't be enough indigestible fiber to help improve gastric motility. So you want a good medium coarse hay with a mix of leaf and stem, with a fairly good green color and not sun bleached(inside the bale).

Thank you so much for your input!

I did have him tested for parasites since I had adopted him after having 4 foster homes and a poor living environment to begin with. He tested negative, His vet suggested a blood test if it worsens because she pointed out many rabbits do experience this problem without having a long term health issue. Some rabbits simply struggle with their digestion.
So, my main question is where do you recommend I purchase the hay from? I currently have a recurring purchase from chewy.com. I currently have no additional foods offered to him other than the daily romaine lettuce leaf. So my question I would say is, how do you assess the maturity of the cut when you order online?
Thanks again for your tips!

From most places you just get whatever they have. They don't specify what cut you're getting. With timothy though, usually it will be a medium coarse second cut, but on occasion it will be a softer cut. You may be fine to continue with what you order now, if you're happy with the cut and quality of it.

To get a specific cut, you would have to order from somewhere that specifies what cut of hay it is, like small pet select. Usually second cut timothy is going to be a medium coarse hay. Though sometimes first cut can turn out to be medium coarse too., just depends on when the farmer harvests it. But usually first cut will be more mature and coarse of a cut. You could always order both and see what they're like, and which one your bun likes too.

Or you can find a farmer or farm store that has the type you want.

Latest posts

Back