Differences in care and temperament between dwarf and larger rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunniless

Reaction score
Hello,

I am considering adopting a pair or trio of bunnies (I don't currently have any), and my previous experience has been with dwarf rabbits--one in particular. It's been years since I have even seen a full-size rabbit in person. The representative I'm in contact with at the shelter is telling me a dwarf is probably not the best fit for my family (we have a toddler and a baby on the way), and she is suggesting bigger bunnies. I haven't had the chance to visit the shelter in person yet.

My question, for those with experience, is this: how different is the experience of owning a full size rabbit vs a dwarf? I can imagine there is going I be more food and more litter box cleaning involved, but are they basically the same aside from that? My dwarf rabbit was very friendly and very healthy. Will a large rabbit be like having an entirely different species? If you were in my position (bunniless with babies) would you adopt dwarfs or bigger bunnies? Thank you for any advice!

I'm sure the shelter representative knows what she's talking about, but I'm just nervous/inexperienced with big bunnies (and any bunny over 3lbs is 'big' to me). When I looked at pictures of the rabbits available for adoption, I kept feeling drawn to the dwarfs because that's the face/body shape I'm so familiar with. Is there a certain larger breed you would recommend to someone who's only familiar with dwarfs? Thanks again.

There isn't too much different for care other than the scale. A bigger rabbits does tend to eat more, have bigger poops, pee more, and need a bigger cage, carrier and other items. This does mean they could cost more to care for than a small rabbit. Of course, it does depend on how big the rabbit is. A 5 or 6 pound rabbit isn't much different than a dwarf, but a 9 or 10 pound rabbit can be.

With young kids, a calmer rabbit that is ok with activity would be better. You don't want one that would be stressed with kids running around, but not one that is too high strung either. You might not need a rabbit big rabbit either. I tend to like the 4-6 pound range for size.

Thank you. We're going to go into the shelter for an orientation program and to meet some bunnies, but we aren't allowed to bring our daughter with us for that. They want us to come back a separate time with her to pick out the bunnies.

But won't all of the bunnies act nervous when they first meet a toddler? How will I know which bunnies can learn to like her and which won't? Should I expect that some of them will happily approach/sit with her?

It may be that they think a large rabbit is less inclined to be injured by a young child. Young children can be unintentionally rough on pets, I know.

Also, a large rabbit has the capacity to destroy things quicker and easier then a small one. I've never had a small rabbit but my two big Flemish have destroyed a couch and a few smaller items. No big deal for us, we were prepared and for the most part they're well behaved but the potential is there. Though I will say mine are on the other extreme of size.

I have a Flemish mix and I have to say, she's wonderful! In the past I've had small rabbits and their attitude was less than I desired, although, to be fair, I have met some very sweet smaller rabbits. I geek like bigger rabbits are less likely to bite than the smaller ones

Latest posts

Back