Difference between mini and standard rex

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juste

Reaction score
Hi,
So i have rex rabbit, and still don't know is he mini or not.
Is there a way to tell mini from standard physically? Because i saw soo many pictures of both rex bunnies and still can't see difference. (Sometimes there is ad with bunny that has bigger head, ears and it says mini rex, sometimes there this little bun and it says that he is standard). Last time when i weighted him he was 14 weeks and 1,270kg.
Would be great to hear what you guys think?

You can not tell the difference between Mini Rexes and Standard Rexes by what they look like, it is all based on weight. You will have to wait until the rabbit is 8-9 months when it is full-grown to tell. A Mini Rex weighs 3-4lbs and a Standard Rex weighs 7-10lbs.

You can not tell the difference between Mini Rexes and Standard Rexes by what they look like, it is all based on weight. You will have to wait until the rabbit is 8-9 months when it is full-grown to tell. A Mini Rex weighs 3-4lbs and a Standard Rex weighs 7-10lbs.
That's what i thought 😁 thank you for the answer.

I know that the mini rex carries the dwarf gene. Would a false dwarf just be a standard rex? Just curious.

I know that the mini rex carries the dwarf gene. Would a false dwarf just be a standard rex? Just curious.
I'm not sure because I don't breed rabbits. You should ask on the Rabbitry and Showroom forum (I'm wondering too).

Hi,
So i have rex rabbit, and still don't know is he mini or not.
Is there a way to tell mini from standard physically? Because i saw soo many pictures of both rex bunnies and still can't see difference. (Sometimes there is ad with bunny that has bigger head, ears and it says mini rex, sometimes there this little bun and it says that he is standard). Last time when i weighted him he was 14 weeks and 1,270kg.
Would be great to hear what you guys think?
It’s pretty much just based on weight! So you won’t know until he’s fully grown!
It’s often quite hard to tell which is a Rex and which is a mini Rex. Standard rexes in the USA are much bigger than standard rexes in the uk!
Standard rexes usually weigh 5-8lb, with mini rexes weighing 3.5-4.5lb!

It’s pretty much just based on weight! So you won’t know until he’s fully grown!
It’s often quite hard to tell which is a Rex and which is a mini Rex. Standard rexes in the USA are much bigger than standard rexes in the uk!
Standard rexes usually weigh 5-8lb, with mini rexes weighing 3.5-4.5lb!
Thank you 🙂 from how fast he grows i was thinking that he must be big, now i don't know 😁

Thank you 🙂 from how fast he grows i was thinking that he must be big, now i don't know 😁
Also bigger breeds grow to their full size a bit longer, I am not familiar with rexes (but interested in them) but sometimes you get a mini lop and she still looks like a mini lop at 6 months but at 1 year old or 1 year and a half she becomes HUGE 🤣

I agree with others that you keep weighting him and see if his weight is too big comparing to his age as for mini rexes so you can guess that he will be more standard rex. But also if you got him from a rescue he can be mixed and so unique! He is very handsome by the way :)

Also bigger breeds grow to their full size a bit longer, I am not familiar with rexes (but interested in them) but sometimes you get a mini lop and she still looks like a mini lop at 6 months but at 1 year old or 1 year and a half she becomes HUGE 🤣

I agree with others that you keep weighting him and see if his weight is too big comparing to his age as for mini rexes so you can guess that he will be more standard rex. But also if you got him from a rescue he can be mixed and so unique! He is very handsome by the way :)
Thanks! I didn't know that bigger breeds can grow so long 🙂 i got him from a person, she said that he is a standard rex, but i saw his mum and for me she looked too small 😁

Latest posts

Back