Diet/Pellet Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjpeter

Jenn
Reaction score
I have a question for everyone...what kind of pellet do you feed (if you do), and how much a day? What else do you feed your buns?

We give Bella 1/4 cup Oxbow Adult each day. (split into breakfast and dinner)

Timothy Hay and fresh water all day unlimited, and 2 cups or so of fresh greens and veggies. We give a taste of fruit each day as a treat, but limit it since she came a bit heavy from rescue. I think we've caught up though.

I read that somebody was feeding 2/3 cup a day for a rabbit of a similar size (right around 4 lbs even) and I just wanted to make sure we weren't underfeeding. Thanks! She'd certainly eat more if we gave it to her, but I doubt she has her health in mind, lol.

I feed Sophie 1/8 cup oxbow pellets split in half daily.
Unlimited Timothy Hay.
2.5 cups packed greens per day, 3 cups in the summer because I wanted her to have the extra moisture while she was moulting.
Sophie weighs 4.5 pounds.

The generally recommended amount of pellets is 1/4 - 1/2 cup of pellets daily per 5 pounds of rabbit. So 1/4 cup is perfectly fine :) Sounds like a very healthy diet to me.

My general rule is 1/2 cup pellets per 5lbs and free choice hay at all times. I feed the whole ration once a day and let the rabbit decide when to eat what. Of course I free feed does from one week pre kindle through weaning and, kits are free fed until 10 weeks of age on both pellets and hay. (fresh herbs, greens and such are given as I have them, up to 1 TBS per 5lbs of rabbit but those are treats, not the regular diet for my rabbits.)

I read that somebody was feeding 2/3 cup a day for a rabbit of a similar size (right around 4 lbs even)

That's WAY too much unless the rabbit is < 7 months old - an adult that size should get maybe half that much.

I feed around 1/4-1/3c per bunny per day (split into two feedings); I've got a bonded pair consisting of a 3.75 lb lionhead and a 4.6 lb Holland lop, plus a 5.5ish lb sable mix that I'm working on bonding to the other two. On average, I give probably 3-4 packed cups of leafy green veggies (minimum they should get is 2 packed cups per 6 lbs body weight), split into 2-3 feedings - I tend to spoil them in that regard. They often (but not always) get a bit of fruit or non-leafy-green veggie (within the limits recommended by HRS) and they get unlimited grass hay, of course.

Thanks! I was fairly sure that the other rabbit was being fed too much, but I didn't want to assume and possibly be hurting our girl.

Latest posts

Back