Did mom stop caring for newborns?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bambi14

Reaction score
Hi guys, my doe had her 3rd litter of 6 kits on Friday (6 days old) she has been doing very well caring for them. I have handled the kits in the mornings to check for full bellies and so far she had been fine. But 2 nights ago one baby crawled out of nest box so yesterday morning I raised the front lip and added a bit more bedding underneath her regular nesting material she already had( I noticed the bedding becoming less). Since then I’m not sure if she has been feeding her kits. I have a camera set up in there and have only noticed her jump in and jump right back out since yesterday morning. Like she doesn’t even try to stay and feed or she freaks out? I noticed it yesterday evening from what was her usual time to feed and I’m the morning as well and just an hour ago. Is she avoiding them? Did I handle them too much or messed with her nest? Was it because a baby fell out?
This is the first litter we actually experience as the first 2 were outside in burrows (1st litter-2 kits, 2nd litter-4 kits)
I attached a video of her doing it.
I’d appreciate any help , thank you.

Attachments

• Bunnies_2023-05-18T00_48_47-0700.mp4
    952.4 KB
Hm, first thing I would do is to check the doe, if there is any inflamation of the teats or mastitis.

I do not think that handling the kits, putting one back or maintaining the nest would deter a doe from nursing. Either she does nurse and you just missed it, or if she doesn't something else is wrong. She looked kind of startled when she hopped out.

Kits getting dragged out on the teat can happen, that's always something to watch out for.
I reckon this is the most commen nest box style, personally I prefer closed ones with just one hole somewhat off the floor, no jumping in and out, less likely to be used as litterbox, easier to keep the other rabbits out, closer to what they use in nature.

Keep an eye on the kits and doe, I would get supplies for handfeeding now anyway in case she really stopped feeding, I always have some cans of condensed goat milk just to be on the safe side.

Good luck.

Hm, first thing I would do is to check the doe, if there is any inflamation of the teats or mastitis.

I do not think that handling the kits, putting one back or maintaining the nest would deter a doe from nursing. Either she does nurse and you just missed it, or if she doesn't something else is wrong. She looked kind of startled when she hopped out.

Kits getting dragged out on the teat can happen, that's always something to watch out for.
I reckon this is the most commen nest box style, personally I prefer closed ones with just one hole somewhat off the floor, no jumping in and out, less likely to be used as litterbox, easier to keep the other rabbits out, closer to what they use in nature.

Keep an eye on the kits and doe, I would get supplies for handfeeding now anyway in case she really stopped feeding, I always have some cans of condensed goat milk just to be on the safe side.

Good luck.
Thank you!! I was able to catch her feeding her kits a little earlier than what she was doing. I will check for mastitis as I’m wondering if that can also be something to check just in case.

If she's feeding them I wouldn't stress her, just let her do her thing :)

Mastitis isn't something that happens that often, but in the case of something being off about nursing (like not feeding, or kits dying etc.) it's one point to check.

If she's feeding them I wouldn't stress her, just let her do her thing :)

Mastitis isn't something that happens that often, but in the case of something being off about nursing (like not feeding, or kits dying etc.) it's one point to check
I just looked back at footage and noticed she did this behavior about 4 times in a time frame of 2 hours. Could that mean anything? This was between 10:30pm-12:30pm
I’m very relieved she fed her kits but now I’m just wondering what the hopping in and out is about. Thank you again!

Latest posts

Back