Did I mess up already?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralvr

Reaction score
If you have read the blog I started about my boys, then you know we had a little pee fight last night. http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=30481&forum_id=6If you haven't read it already, that link will take you there. Basically, I am wondering if I messed up arlready by somehow letting them smell eachother. Also, all you pros out there, am I right that these are not good signs fora possible future bonding?

I desperately don't want to mess this up. I just want both of my boys to be happy!

No, you haven't messed up.

It's good they can smell each other, that's the first step of bonding, to get used to smell, but at the moment they are being little boys. Even one of my neutered guys still sprays in the wrong situation.

They are makring their territory against another smell, and that other smell is on you. It's not pleasant for you, but it is normal.

I am currently bonding two bucks and a doe together and we are getting lots of spraying, it's just part of bunny behaviour. So don't worry about it at all :)

That's good to know. I was honestly worried that I had messed up and now they would never like each other!

I know if a bunny goes somewhere that is inappropriate, it is important to get the smell out so they don't continue going there. . . How do you do that with a leather couch?

This doesn't necessarily mean they will take to each other, there are no guarantees either way for that, but what you have described hasnot hindered it, so don't worry :)

When you say 'goes' do you mean the toilet? I don't know what you can use on a leather couch. White vinegar works well on regular stuff. Maybe dilute it down?Not sure if it will damage the leather though. If you mean goes as in visits, then whenever he goes up there, just put him down, and don't give him any attention.

Yep I meant goes to the bathroom. I guess I should have explained that one better. I was afraid of that. I think I will try a diluted vinegar solution and just deal with it if it leaves a mark. It is an old couch anyway and a vinegar mark is better then a pee one.

I think I am going to have to start not allowing Henri on the couch if he won't stop the marking on it. I am not sure that is really possible though.

The last few days (basically since the new guy came around) Henri has been following me around ALL THE TIME. Do you think that is because of the new smell, or just because he wants to? I think he knows that the bunny is downstairs because when I go down there, he waits at the top of the stairs for me.

Sorry for all the questions, but thank you for all the help!

I don't know why he is following you. If he is not neutered it could be because the male chases the female in the courtship ritual. It could be he misses you or is insecure about the new smell. It could be anything really.

I doubt he is jealous though because if he was his behaviour wouldprobably change in a bad way. Maybe he is just curious :)

And ask as many questions as you like, the more the better and the more people that respond the better :)

Henri knows there is another rabbit in the house, and he knows it's downstairs. You go down the stairs out of his sight and come back up smelling like that "OTHER" bunny... he's being protective and wants to keep an eye on you. I'd say he's thinking that you are his and he shouldn't have to "share" you...

:pet: Tough when someones feelings get hurt... :bunnieskiss

I cannot hold Tony and then hold Bo. Bo hates it! He is only getting to smell Tony from about 2 feet away now when Tony is out playing. It's baby steps with them.... it will probably be baby steps for a long time!

Just remember that..... it's hard enough with bunnies - and 2 males are going to be a bit harder...... it's doable tho.

Oh boy! I was going to ask you how it's going, and now I see! I still think it's great that you brought the new bunny in. It sounds like there will definantly be an adjustment period though!

Latest posts

Back