Did I buy a defective bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wraith2097

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and new to bunnies in general. Honestly never thought I'd be posting on a bunny forum, let alone own two of em. My girlfriend had seen a black and white mini lop (Think thats what it is, he's less than two pounds with loppish ears) by the name of Pepper at a local yard sale and bought him for her cousin, who couldn't take him in. I was instantly volunteered for the job( I tried to resist but she got all pouty so..)and he's been living in my place for the last few weeks. I think she just wants to see how I would handle kids since I live alone, but thats for another forum heh.

Anyways he and I get along for the most part. Kinda hard being all manly and cuddle a bunny you know? We still watch some movies and play a bit of ps2 when I'm around. We're both fairly messy and grunt and grind our teeth, so thats a common interest right there. He leaves a little more urine and fecal pellets around than I do, but hey nobunny's perfect right?Problem was that I work 12 hour shifts. I felt bad leaving him home alone all the time. So I went out and adopted a female mini lop named acorn.

Now both are fixed and got along instantly from the first bonding session. Acorn seemed to be in great health the first few days. But after arriving home one morning from work she would dart and flip in her cage for no apparent reason or warning. I thought she wanted out, and complied. But now its like she'll be just sitting there all comfy and BAM! She flings her body across the room for no reason and acts normal again. It doesn't look like a normal hop either, and I've seen what they look like when they run. This is just one really sharp jerky twitch she randomly does, sometimes arcing from one side of her area to the other. Sometimes its just a sharp circle. I have a feeling she may have fleas but I can't find any evidence and its hard to see because of her dark fur. She doesn't bite at herself or scratch any more than what I would say is normal. Imagine someone jabbing something sharp into the hind quarters of a bunny, thats how she acts. Its so quick and random that it looks like fleas are biting her or her stint at the shelter fried her little bunny brains. Is something wrong with her?

From the sounds of it, sounds like your a natural born bunny guy! We have plenty of manly men on this forum, so it's not at all less 'manly' to cudde a bun! :D. Rabbit's aren't just cute and cuddly, some can be dangerous! Handle with care! ;).. hehe joking.

As for the quick movements, it might be a binky. Binkies are what rabbits do when they are extremely happy. The just practically jump in the air and do a 360 in the air? Sometimes my rabbit tries to do a binky in her cage and hit's the cage walls. Does it sort of look like a crazy jump? If it does, it's probably a binky and nothing to worry about! :)

Sounds like you're having a blast! :D

ANOTHER BUNNIE GUY !!!!:woohoo

Welome to the forum Wraith :wave:.

As the others have mentioned...it sounds like a binkie to me. Happy bunnie stuff!

Some of my buns will do this. Sitting there all calm and then it looks like someone stuck them with a pin....kind of a jerkie twistie jumpie motion and then they may take off for a short "Bunnie 500" around the room....very often ending in a sliding flop.

Expect MANY variations of this, too.

~Jim

PS: I NEVER cuddle my bunnies...nope...not me....never :disgust:

Glad to see another "rabbit man" here! Welcome to the forum, Wraith!

Matt:cool:

P.S. Those are definitely "binkies"

Ooooh, I love bunny guys! :inlove:

And Wraith, REALLY love your post! Welcome to Rabbits Only, hope you stick around! :welcome1

sas :)and the buns :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

girls like guys that cuddle bunnies (i could make that into a bumper sticker. . .)

if you watch mad tv at all, a bunny binki will look like the characture stewart doing a mad jump after saying "look what i can do". . .one of my friends made that connection a while back and it seems like a good example.

btw- LOVE the video of the binki. . .my poor herman has issues with doing binkis as his ears get in the way. . .he tends to trip over then here and there.

katt wrote:
a bunny binki will look like the characture stewart doing a mad jump after saying "look what i can do". . .
That's hilarious and a very good description!

My Holland Lop, Baby does "special" binkies. She often runs into things and almost never lands on her feet, bless her heart. She's not the smartest bunny in the barn!

She'll just sit up, shake her head, and keep going!

katt wrote:
girls like guys that cuddle bunnies (i could make that into a bumper sticker. . .)

I like Buck's view on this...

Buck Jones wrote:
Lemme tell you, Bunny_Mad, as a guy who sometimes carries a bun out in public in a "front pack," rabbits are a geat "Babe Magnet," if I ever saw one. I can't walk twenty feet without being stopped by women, most beautiful, to ooh/ahh and coo over the darling bunny. It would be the easiest thing in the world to seque into a personal conversation/invitation with many of these wonderful ladies, but the Missus is usually close by, moderating "bunny" activities.LOL

Instead of getting ragged online about being a rabbit fancier, if I were you, I would be lining up dates with allthe women by using my bunny, live, to run intoductions for me. See who has the last laugh, then!

Buck

:D

attachment.php

Wraith,i'm with everyone else,your bunny is probably just so happy to be living in your home that she just cannot control her happiness,a crazy bunny is a happy bunny,when i very first seen my bunny do that over two years ago i thought 'whoa,you go girl'

Ohh i just love the way you explained your post,it made me smile,and really women love to see a big macho man cuddling a sweet soft little furry bunny,there is nothing more satisfying

Naturestee..is that last picture your husband..goodlooking guy,and he's cuddling mocha in front of his friends,what a lovely picture:)

cheryl

Spring wrote:
A local rabbit rescue had a fundraiser around Christmas. It was a calender called "Men with Buns" ( Pun intended I think ;)).
I almost bought that! :bunnyheart There were a bunch of rabbit rescues selling it online. What a great way to raise money!

Cheryl- yup that's my hubby James, also known here as the elusive Mr. Stee. Mocha is his baby. He brought her home as a surprise, our first bun.:D

Hi Wraith2097 ! Welcome to the bunny- guy forum! :D

Did I say I love my bunny? :whistling

For a guy, I took my time before I got Pebbles. I researched and kept my eye outfor rabbits thatcame into the Animal Shelter.

Finally I found a Vet had rescued a pregnant bunny that was suppose to be euthanized. The previous owners figured the bunny was defective and didn't want it anymore.

Now I have the most photogenic and best mannered bunny on this forum that gives me so many kisses.
I cuddle her too.

Rainbows! :wiggle

Latest posts

Back