Diatomaceous Earth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anneq

Reaction score
Well, was browsing through some web-sites (rabbit-related, of course) and came upon this product. Have never heard of it before this but I do like the idea that it's not chemical and sounds a little safer to use than the regular wormers.

Anyone have experience with this?

I have heard of it used to kill mites as well. I think it was Jenk who was considering it since they've been having recurrent mite problems. I don't think it would be good to give internally, since the way it kills mites is by tearing apart the cells because they're very sharp little particles.

I use it to kill ants around the backyard since my chickens free range. It actually can be added to their feed to deworm and actually increases the hardness of their shells. Please make sure you buy the food grade de and not the kind they use in swimming pools.

Ok, well after reading-up some more on this product, I decided to order some and give it a try.
Yes, I not only give it to the buns in their feed, but I'm also taking it mixed in water/juice.
So far, no adverse reactions - have sprinkled it underneath the outdoor bunnies cages to control wetness & flies.

Like I said, they don't seem to notice it at all.

Oh, and this blew me away when reading it - I mean, if it's true, the results are pretty darn impressive:

Go halfway down the page to Grain Storage and Protection:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Will do - so far none of us are keeling over and I have noticed a decrease in the flies.

Depending on the size of your rabbits, I would simply use the amounts listed for kittens /cats (like they do with most medicine, since a lot of what is used for rabbits is mostly 'off-label")

tonyshuman wrote:
I have heard of it used to kill mites as well. I think it was Jenk who was considering it since they've been having recurrent mite problems. I don't think it would be good to give internally, since the way it kills mites is by tearing apart the cells because they're very sharp little particles.
It depends on what kind you get. The "food grade" (also called "medical grade") diatomecious earth doesn't have the sharp particles.
Only the industrial grade, used for pool filters, does. But, that's only after the "natural" diatomaceous earth has been treated with high heat, and with soda ash. That's when the silica in the diatomaceous earth re-crystalises, and forms the sharp edges.

Btw, as an insecticides it does not work by tearing apart the cells. It works by absorbing lipids from the waxy outer layers of the insects' exoskeleton, and thus dehydrating them.

I see. But wouldn't it dry out the lining of your GI tract? I know humans don't have a waxy cuticle that protects us like insects with their exoskeletons. I guess in small enough doses it wouldn't do very much to people, and would just act on the insects.

Just an update on this product.

I've been using it now a little over 2 weeks, and I have seen an increase in my Rosie's weight (granted, I've been feeding her oats also and a bit of Doc's)..her coat is looking better, which is a challenge in this heat & humidity, and the fly population has been cut down noticeably.
So far no negative effects from what I've seen.

I got mine a few days ago. I have been adding it to their feed. I bought a duster yesterday, so I will apply it to the surrounding area this evening. I also want to add it to my feral cats food since I can't worm them regularly.

Latest posts

Back